3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Squealing in driveshaft/differential

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Flexikid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does sound like U-Joints but...without rust dust??? I would to the old heat test. Take for drive then climb under and feel around on the vital parts and look for anything hot to touch. If somthing is that wrong you will find it real fast. Shouldn't be anything under there hot unless it's next to exhaust with the exception of the trans. Rears should be warm not hot where you cannot touch them. I do think it is a U-Joint though

Old 03-16-2010, 01:08 AM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how'd it go? Bad news or Worse news?

Old 03-16-2010, 01:26 AM
jfrerichs89
Rookie

I think i have the same problem your saying. We were changing my brake pads and i brought up the squeak so we rotated the back tires and it sounded like it was coming somewhere because of the drive shaft and it sounded like it was comming from anywhere because the drive shaft can carry sound because its a tube (from what he said). Long story short, we put a bunch of oil on where the drive shaft meets the differential and after driving around a bit it started going away. But now after winter its come back. But i am almost certain the oil fixed the problem even though it only fixed it for a little. So hopefully you get an answer that i can use to totally fix my problem. ....

Old 03-16-2010, 02:37 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

It was the U-joint, the back one on the driveshaft. So good news A 70 dollar fix total and I was in and out and back on the road in just over about an hour and a half with waiting for the u-joint to come in.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:44 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear it is fixed...

Quick Reply: Squealing in driveshaft/differential