3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 Ram 1500 4.7 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:06 PM
bhorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Ram 1500 4.7 Won't Start

I searched through 10 pages of threads, and could not find a similar problem, so here goes:

I love this truck, and have never had a problem in 48K miles. A buddy asked how my truck has been, and I said great, even knocked on wood.(not me own HeHe). Sure enough, a couple days later it won't start. It turns over sort of popping like it wants to fire but nothing. Tried holding down the gas pedal, and nothing. I smell fuel so don't think that is the problem. It has been really moist outside as of late. I once had a vehicle that wouldn't start when it was wet outside, and I traced that to a coil wire. I had leave right away on a trip, and did not have time to look into it. I was hoping someone may have some ideas so I can tackle it when I get home. Thanks in advance folks.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:10 PM
rcman0056
Professional

To get the engine to fire you need air fuel and a spark. Check your spark plugs they may be gone. Also take your air filter off and see if it is blocked. I would call a friend who knows some info on engines to help. Where you located? People from all over on this forum.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:08 PM
bhorn

Thanks rcman. I live in Chicagoland, and have some backup if I get lost. I am great with the older, but still finding my way in the electronic gizmo auto world. I will get after it on Thursday, and report back. Seems kind of weird that it would be running great with no symptoms, then be dead out of the blue in the garage.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM
bhorn

Well had a chance to look at it this afternoon. I have air, fuel, and spark, but no run. It's not throwing any codes either. I pulled the cam posn sensor to test the reader, and got a code, so that's working. I was wondering about bad fuel, so I poured some raw fuel in, and still no fire. I changed the top set of spark plugs, and no fire. Now I'm wondering about the timing chain. I sure hope not with 48K miles. This may be a reach, but It looked real wet inside the cylinders from what I could see through the spark plug holes. Maybe something is making the mixture too rich. I am stumped, anyone have any idea's.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:56 PM
05hemi05
Rookie

before you start goin any further check the fuse box, make sure no fuses are burnt out and make sure all your relay switches are pushed down all the way. this happened to me the other day and it ended up being the relay switch. wish i could but i cant give you any more help then that, if you have air/fuel and spark and its not a relay switch/fuse then im stumped too. good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:14 PM
bhorn

Fixed! Turned out to be the anti theft system. I initially ruled that out because there was no horn, blinking lights, and truck would crank. Also there was no codes related to anti theft either. Reset it, and now it works.

Quick Reply: 2006 Ram 1500 4.7 Won't Start