3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Truck (to me), Got some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:23 AM
NtensiTy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Truck (to me), Got some questions.

Hello everyone. I just got a 2004 1500 4x4 about 10 days ago and am ecstatic about it. I love the truck, but have some very noobie like questions. My truck has about 86,500 miles on it, and I'm wanting to do a full maintenance checkup on it since I'm not sure how recently it's had everything done.

So far I'm planning on doing Oil and Diff fluids which shouldn't be that hard. Should i change tranny fluid and filters as well? Is that something I could do on my own? (I have only moderate tools). Anything else i should change just for maintenances sake? Anything coming up to change or anything i should check or look out for on a truck with this amount of miles?

Excuse the true noobness of this post but I really just want to try and get my truck in the best working condition I can. I swear i'll try to be less nooby in future post and hope to be here for a while.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:54 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, you can do a tranny fluid change by dropping the pan and do not do a flush at this stage in the game.
New filters, making sure you get the correct flat 4x4 filter, as the pickup tube is longer on it for a 4x4 than a 2wd.
Also, just replace what fluid you loose from the pan drop. I think typically it's about 7 quarts or so.
Do your transfer case as well. I believe it's the same fluid as your brake and PS.
That's a piece of cake to do and you only need a large allen key.
While your doing the rear diff, check that it's got an LSD. If it has, just type into the search engine on here "retaining clip or c clip" problems. You will find a wealth of information on that subject. Suffice to say that the 1500 diff's had a big problem with the clutch packs on those LSD's. Especially your year of manufacture. This is a MUST DO and will save you thousands of $'s if you catch it early.
Good reading on that one.
Good luck.
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 03-16-2010 at 04:57 AM.

Quick Reply: New Truck (to me), Got some questions.