3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3rd gen hemi

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:38 PM
narsenault05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gen hemi

New to the dodge truck world and looking to get into a 2004 3/4 ton with the hemi. gunna be looking at one on saturday. has about 98,000 miles on it. Wanted to know some things I should be looking for and possible issues i could run into with that kind of mileage. I have seen a few hemi's with close to 200k for sale. What's the longevity and reliabilty of these engines like? Any info is appreciated! thanks!

Old 03-17-2010, 09:25 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think 100k is a big deal with a dodge that has been properly maintained. I would look at the usual things in buying a used vehicle. Carfax is good. Maintenance records, Check for what is normal wear and tear and look for what's not normal. I would only be interested in a personally owned truck, not a business (fleet) vehicle. I would take into consideration how the truck might have been modified. Was it just driven or was it raced on the weekends? Look at the rotors/brakes. Check transmission fluid, engine oil. What brand filter is installed, major brand would be a good indication. What is the condition of the tires, what brand, correct size? Has the exhaust been modified? If so, was it proffessional done? Does it come with a tuner? If so, was it run hard? Was it maintained by the owner or a shop. What stickers are there to indicate where it has been worked on. Look for body damage and matching paint. What does the bed/tailgate look like, is it beat? Talk with the actual owner and get a feel for why it is being sold. Start it up and let it idle while you look it over. Take it for a drive, during the drive pull it over and hot start it. When you get back, continue to talk with the owner leaving it run. See if the owner appears concerned about it just idling. Keep an eye on the gauges. Operate every option it has a couple of times. If it passes your inspection have a knowledgeable friend or dealer look at it for a second opinion. All these things basically gives you a feeling about the truck. If there are problems and you are capable of doing the repairs talk to him about lowing the price by the amount a shop would charge for the repairs. Others I am sure have more and better advice to give you. Good luck

Old 03-17-2010, 09:35 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

^^^^ agreed^^^^

Old 03-18-2010, 01:19 AM
gasguy
Professional

...x3

Old 03-18-2010, 01:24 AM
rocket23
Champion

Shlt if I read That before I bought my truck I think the dealer Would of given me the keys for free!!lol Good Post!!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:00 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by rocket23
Shlt if I read That before I bought my truck I think the dealer Would of given me the keys for free!!lol Good Post!!
When I bought red (new) I spent a month doing the deal and and got $3500 for a older caravan that the transmission died on the way to the dealer. Actually coasted into the lot. Told the guy to go ahead and pull the plates, I was here to deal.. Hell, I couldn't have left without buying something to drive home. The main reason I think I did well was it was a 2wd at a dealership that sold only 4wd trucks and it was the base model with the only option being the hemi and no one wanted it. The really strange part was that everyone at the dealer stood outside to watch me drive off. I think I could hear banjo music playing in the background. Not sure I want to go back unless to buy another truck. lol

Quick Reply: 3rd gen hemi