3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1 tire spins

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket23
right now your spining tire is the one with least traction the other side will spin under the correct circumstances
Did you not read the above statements?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:13 AM
beecherr345
Professional

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
Did you not read the above statements?
hes right about that tho, if theres more weight on the other side of the truck then the opposite tire will spin.

usually the pass tire spins because of the extra weight of the driver + fuel tank on the driver side give that side more traction.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:17 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

To the OP: Don't think you HAVE to re-gear to have a LSD installed. One can be added to your differential by any competent shop. Average price would be about $400 for an Auburn Gear and $500 for a Detroit TruTrac. Installation should run you about $150-200...

Old 03-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by beecherr345
hes right about that tho, if theres more weight on the other side of the truck then the opposite tire will spin.

usually the pass tire spins because of the extra weight of the driver + fuel tank on the driver side give that side more traction.
I don't think he meant the spinning wheel will alternate to the other side. The way it came off is that under the right circumstances the other side will spin along with the already spinning wheel.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Trendy Rendy
Rookie

well what if I match the wieght on the drivers side to the passenger side?

Old 03-22-2010, 03:44 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

An open differential, which most basic trucks have, operates on a simple principle - the torque applied to each wheel is always the same.

Depending on the surface a tire is contacting, it may take alot of torque (dry pavement) or almost nothing (slick ice) to cause it to slip relative to the surface.

Also, once a tire is spinning, it generally takes less torque to keep it spinning than it did to break it loose.

So, put these conditions together, and you can see why it can be so frustrating to drive an unprepared 2WD truck in winter. It's not that the non-spinning wheel isn't trying to twist, but rather that it cannot twist any harder than what it takes to slip the wheel with the least grip.

A limited-slip differential will force each wheel to recieve more torque than it normally could once one wheel has lost traction.

Balancing weight may help in theory, but the best solution (short of an LSD) is a large amount of weight in the bed, right over the axle, and good snow tires. My Firestone Winterforces and about 500# did a pretty amazing job. They are also studdable, if you so choose.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:31 PM
haulinhemi06
Rookie

if youre looking for options go to ringpinion.com. Im assuming you have the 9.25, if you do you can pick the factory Tracloc unit, auburn, or detroit. Detroit truetracs gonna be your best bet if you like to stomp on it 24/7 or if your off road often. if not go with the auburn, its a solid unit that should last the life of the truck. i have heard instances of them wearing out and theyre non-rebuildable but thats pretty rare. its also about 100 less.
Concerning running different gears, run 4.10s or 4.56 if you tow or if youre like most of us and want to boot scoot. if your lookin for gas milage, keep it the same.
Cant help you with prices on install though.
Death to one wheel wonders.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Nothin'_but_trucks
Professional

I don't mean to steal the OP's topic but I was thinking about something...
Would running an LSD compared to an open give you better off the line performance? My assumption is yes but considering the relatively short amount of time I'm referring to would there be much of a difference if any?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 PM
haulinhemi06
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nothin'_but_trucks
I don't mean to steal the OP's topic but I was thinking about something...
Would running an LSD compared to an open give you better off the line performance? My assumption is yes but considering the relatively short amount of time I'm referring to would there be much of a difference if any?
LSD will beat out an open diff in every category except for gas milage. as for the short amount of time, yeah off the line shots are short but that time gets to be quite a bit if all youre doing is sitting and spinning one tire. If you dont have the power to spin one tire its time to consider some performance mods...
hope that answers your question.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Nothin'_but_trucks
Professional

Originally Posted by haulinhemi06
LSD will beat out an open diff in every category except for gas milage. as for the short amount of time, yeah off the line shots are short but that time gets to be quite a bit if all youre doing is sitting and spinning one tire. If you dont have the power to spin one tire its time to consider some performance mods...
hope that answers your question.
Yup, backs up what I was leaning towards.

Quick Reply: 1 tire spins