3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:06 AM
84CJ7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for?

Looking at a 05 Quad cab Hemi 4x4 with 78,000 miles. What do I need to be concerned about? What do I need to look for? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:15 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

steering racks and steering system, look for leaks. how does the trans shift? just go over it with a fine tooth comb like any other vehicle.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:32 PM
beecherr345
Professional

make them change the rear diff fluid and make them drop the cover to do it and check for a broken C-clip. if theres a clip in the bottom of that rear end then your in trouble. if not then just keep checking it every 15k.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:44 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If i wasn't mechanically inclined at all, i would do as follows for any vehicle purchase that is outside a dealer lot.
1) Go check it out and look over at what you do know. Like paint, wheels, tires, interior...etc
2) take it for a test drive and make sure it's driving like it should and nothing funky is going on.
3) Get an idea for what the owner would take for it as long as it checks out okay at a shop.
4) have the owner drop the truck off at a shop of your choosing, not his. Then have the shop check over all the fluids and see if the normal maintenance had been kept up with or not. Having the shop change the rear diff fluid on Your dollar is not a bad idea. Figure $100 to assure your safety that nothing is wrong. Besides, when I buy a used bvhicle the first thing i do is go through and flush ALL of the fluids out anyways, so you'll need to flush the rear diff out regardless.
I'd leave all the other mainenance issue's alone until you actually buy it. i don't see how the seller can not approve of you replacing the diff fluid on your dime.

If the seller says no you can't, then go to the next vehicle. if he says i already had it done, then get proof. i know there is a removable rubber cover on my differential fluid cover that can be easily moved to stick your finger in there and check the color of the fluid.
A damaged rear-end can cost $2k to fix and there are alot of 2005-prior Rams that have had those troubles. the retaining clips were beefened up right around '05, but that doesn't mean you still can't have trouble. This is not anything you can hear or feel when driving.

Tune-ups are due every 30kmi along with the front diff. Most truck owners neglect their trucks. Many guys say on the forums they are going on 80kmi on their original plugs or have never changed out their diff fluids which are due every 15-30kmi depending upon use.
Good Luck

Last edited by dirtydog; 03-22-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:00 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by dirtydog
If i wasn't mechanically inclined at all, i would do as follows for any vehicle purchase that is outside a dealer lot.
1) Go check it out and look over at what you do know. Like paint, wheels, tires, interior...etc
2) take it for a test drive and make sure it's driving like it should and nothing funky is going on.
3) Get an idea for what the owner would take for it as long as it checks out okay at a shop.
4) have the owner drop the truck off at a shop of your choosing, not his. Then have the shop check over all the fluids and see if the normal maintenance had been kept up with or not. Having the shop change the rear diff fluid on Your dollar is not a bad idea. Figure $100 to assure your safety that nothing is wrong. Besides, when I buy a used bvhicle the first thing i do is go through and flush ALL of the fluids out anyways, so you'll need to flush the rear diff out regardless.
I'd leave all the other mainenance issue's alone until you actually buy it. i don't see how the seller can not approve of you replacing the diff fluid on your dime.

If the seller says no you can't, then go to the next vehicle. if he says i already had it done, then get proof. i know there is a removable rubber cover on my differential fluid cover that can be easily moved to stick your finger in there and check the color of the fluid.
A damaged rear-end can cost $2k to fix and there are alot of 2005-prior Rams that have had those troubles. the retaining clips were beefened up right around '05, but that doesn't mean you still can't have trouble. This is not anything you can hear or feel when driving.

Tune-ups are due every 30kmi along with the front diff. Most truck owners neglect their trucks. Many guys say on the forums they are going on 80kmi on their original plugs or have never changed out their diff fluids which are due every 15-30kmi depending upon use.
Good Luck
damm dogg ..spot on