3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:54 AM
gatordodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie question

I have searched this site but haven't found anything specific to my problem...some are close, any way here it is.....
I bought my son a 2005 ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 38,000 miles 2 wheel drive ....
the problem is this, when he or i come to a complete stop the engine will die right away with no warning signs IE no idling problems, or rough engine sounds no check engine lights etc...we took it to our local dodge dealer, the first visit they clean the throttle body area and gave it a tune up, didn't fix it, the second time we took it in they changed the entire throttle body, didn't fix it...so far we have just over $1300.00 in those two visits and we still don't have an answer...before I take it back I was hoping maybe someone could offer some advice on what may be happening...thanks, Todd

Old 03-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Toefur
Professional

Here is something I found from someone with a HEMI Ram:

I started having a stalling problem when stopping at intersections. Pretty much the exact symptoms everyone else is reporting. RPM's dropped under 500 while stopping and the engine died. Sometimes it would suddenly die when sitting still, in gear, with foot on brake. No codes, no lights. I did not believe the problem was computer program related as Dodge would have you believe. If that was so you would have the problem from day 1.

This problems started for me around 130000 miles. I went ahead and changed the EGR valve even though a code had not been generated. EGR valve did not fix problem. I then decided to look at the transmission because it felt more like the transmission was dragging the engine down. I was able to determine that the transmission filter seal had been installed incorrectly during the last fluid change. This was allowing vapor to be sucked into the transmission oil pump and apparently causing the torque converter clutch to malfunction. I installed a new seal and filter and the problem quit immediately. This seal appears to be a semi hard Nylon material and must be installed into the transmission before the filter is installed. The old seal should have to be pryed out and the new one knocked into place usind something like a wooden dowel

Old 03-22-2010, 11:46 AM
hoss67
Record Breaker

My girl had the same problem with her honda, i figured it might be a short or something with the plugs and wires, changed both of them and it worked!!!! i dont know if u have the same problem, but u need to tell the dealership they didnt do anything so they need to refund something back cause thats BS dude.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:14 PM
wyseguy77
Captain

Ouch the stealership got ya! Fuel filter maybe!?!

Old 03-23-2010, 04:05 PM
gatordodge

yeah u thought fuel filter also but not it????

Quick Reply: newbie question