3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

05 ram rough idle stalling at stops! Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010 | 10:35 PM
mcgoo89
Veteran

i believe the ttps is located on the throttle body, your going to have to unplug it clen the throttle body.. check then to make sure its looking ok.. what about your air filter? new one lately? built up and not sucking through? im out of ideas, just throwing some around lol

Old 03-25-2010 | 10:37 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

vacuum leaks are easy to find when your truck is running crappy take a can of carb cleaner and spray it around areas that would possibly have a vacuum leak if you spray it by a vacuum leak your truck will start to idle normal. did this only to find an egr leaking on a van i fixed.

Old 03-26-2010 | 09:22 AM
tegixxer@yahoo.com
|
Default air filter/rough idle

Originally Posted by mcgoo89
i believe the ttps is located on the throttle body, your going to have to unplug it clen the throttle body.. check then to make sure its looking ok.. what about your air filter? new one lately? built up and not sucking through? im out of ideas, just throwing some around lol
When I got the truck i put on a K&N CAI on it but a few weeks later the truck started stalling, the mechnic swore it was the CAI. I said no way I put on CAI on all of my vehicles and none of them ever caused any problems. So before i brought it to the dealer I put the original air box on and a brand new air filter. I must say the old one (I just bought the truck) was very dirty. I will find out Sat when I take off the throttle body. Thanks for your ideas.

Old 03-26-2010 | 09:28 AM
tegixxer@yahoo.com
|
Unhappy rough idle

Originally Posted by Denniss66
vacuum leaks are easy to find when your truck is running crappy take a can of carb cleaner and spray it around areas that would possibly have a vacuum leak if you spray it by a vacuum leak your truck will start to idle normal. did this only to find an egr leaking on a van i fixed.
I will try the carb cleaner, i have to go to work today but I am going to search over this truck either later today or all day tomorrow, I also just for the hell of it I am getting a new gas cap to try it. If not its not an expensive part. Thanks again for the ideas any more keep them coming I will update this after I try all of the suggestions.

Old 03-26-2010 | 09:31 AM
tegixxer@yahoo.com
|

Originally Posted by truckin151
Hope you get this figured out soon.
Me too I am so frustrated because i have to have everything running perfect, my brother said just to run it, but its bugging me and I know it can be fixed just have to find the problem. Thanks for all of your help.

Old 03-26-2010 | 08:40 PM
tegixxer@yahoo.com
|
Unhappy Rough idle tried new gas cap no dice

Ok so i called the dealer, he told me there is not Throttle Position sensor on my dodge ram. Is he correct? I asked him for a new sensor and he said there was no part listing for a 05 5.7L hemi TPS. So I got a gas cap wich did fit tighter and after putting the new one on my old one was a little loose but the idle still drops as I put it in gear or pull up to a stop. Tomorrow (SAT) i am looking over every hose and plastic tube on the truck. I am also going to take off the throttle body and check over everything and clean everything and everywhere. I will post back tomorrow thanks again for everyones ideas.

Old 03-26-2010 | 08:54 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Anyway you can post up a sound clip of it? maybe there is something that you are not hearing that one of us can pick out?

Old 03-26-2010 | 08:59 PM
tegixxer@yahoo.com
|
Default I will post the sound clip tomorrow

Yea thats a good idea, I will post a sound clip tomorrow thanks 151.

Old 03-28-2010 | 01:14 PM
tegixxer@yahoo.com
|
Default Cleaned entire throttle body checked plugs

OK i took off the throttle body, cleaned inside and out everywhere i could get my hand into, it was dirty and now it looks brand new. I took out 1 of the plugs and they are a little bad but not harble, I was thinking maybe the plugs where starting to go. I even replaced the PCV valve and I took off the metal hose that goes from the throttle body to the EGR valve and the hose was filthy, so I cleaned out that. I bought plugs and wires and i am going to try to put them on SUN or MON. I also cleaned as far into the area after the throttle body as I could reach. I put a can of dry gas (the red) into the tank I have to run the gas out but that will be this week. I also put my K&N intake back on and finally I drove the truck. No engine lights and I have not gone to far but it ran good, I will run the truck more today. I also will try the key cyle again to see if anyting pops up. I checked all of the hoses that I could reach and everything seemed fine. Today I am going to look over the fuel tank area and all the way up to the engine. I will post back. thanks again for the help, hopefully the pcv valve and the cleaning did the trick.

Old 03-28-2010 | 01:16 PM
tegixxer@yahoo.com
|
Default still will post the video

Originally Posted by truckin151
Anyway you can post up a sound clip of it? maybe there is something that you are not hearing that one of us can pick out?
I will still post the video I just have not done it yet, thanks.

Quick Reply: 05 ram rough idle stalling at stops! Please Help