3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Twin turbo thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Albertaramfan
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin turbo thoughts

So I got to thinkin...

I was out at the track yesterday and a buddy of mine is out there running a turboed saturn sl1. Thing absolutely flies!

Now it's got me thinking of tackling a whole new project. I was thiinking about fabbing up a twin turbo kit for our hemis. I'm thinking a couple small turbos. Something a lil smaller than an srt 4 turbo.

I know tuning that beast would be rediculous but I'd love to see the end result.

As of right now it's in the planning stages to see if there's room but I already have a line on th turbos for 500 and have a buddy with a pipe bender to bend all the piping. My biggest battle will be manifolds and tuning I think.

What do you guys think? Is there anything huge I'm overlooking that will cause me a headache?

Old 03-28-2010, 02:35 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at KRC, they have a single turbo set up with lifetime of custom tuning for just at 2g. I think thats a great deal. Rear mount and everything you need to get up and running. All you have to do is weld in the pipes.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:35 PM
matthewbeard
Veteran

depends on how much boost you plan on running. i don't know much about the hemi's or how much boost they could actually run safely w/o loosing a engine every couple of passes

Old 03-28-2010, 02:52 PM
harby
Professional

I think there are a few questions to ask youself here as there will be headaches all over the place!!

Do you really need twin turbo's? The twin scroll turbo's available now will give the same performance as a twin setup and will be simpler to install and this could just go on one manifold.

What's your proposed budget?

What power do you want to acheive and where in the rev range? You'll need to start thinking about different engine internals if your going above about 8PSI boost, from just fitting lower compression pistons all the way to a stronger bottom end and different cams. Also, the fuel system may need to be upgraded, injectors, higher pressure pump etc.

What transmission system is this power going through?

How are you going to control fuelling and boost and overide the standard engine management?

Old 03-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Albertaramfan
Captain

Thanks for the link oe. That twin turbo universal kit it right around what I'm looking at! I had completely forgot about bigger injectors .

It's a toss up after looking at the kits because I prefer to keep it all underhood for show purposes so the single would be nice but that twin setup just has me itchin to put it in for one of those "wow" factor things.

Quick Reply: Twin turbo thoughts