3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NOT AGAIN!!! squeaking....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:19 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOT AGAIN!!! squeaking....

ok, first time i had squeaking it was a busted strut, but u could see it was busted so replaced it and squeaking was gone, second time squeaking started and started getting worse, well it was my lower ball joint, replaced it fixed it, ok now i am having the same strut squeaking noise on the other side but the strut looks fine, i just had a levelin kit installed so could that be the squeaking noise? also they guys that re-aligned it said my outer tie rods are bad, so could that be a squeaking noise? i am just sick of squeaking noises for the past two months, driving me insane!

Old 04-01-2010, 12:27 AM
haulinhemi06
Rookie

i know what youre going through. i havent any ball joints go bad but i have had to replace the passenger side strut twice. 2nd one only lasted 1000 miles before the cursed squeak came back.
neither was visably damaged. i would just have a shop test it to be sure. turns out that second shock had a tiny hole in it or something. it wasnt leaking fluid, just making noise.
i would repace your tie rods if they really have gone bad and the strut get checked. it wouldnt be the leveling kit. unless the guy who installed it didnt tighten all the screws. you may want to check that too...

Old 04-01-2010, 01:31 AM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you using name brand struts or what .Sounds like oem nightmare product.imo

Old 04-01-2010, 07:47 AM
53fireman
Rookie

Just brought my ram back to the dealer for the 4th time for the same damn squeaking that they "couldn't reproduce" before. Now they've determined that it's the struts and they ordered new ones, but they're on a 3 week backorder.... go figure.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:27 AM
haulinhemi06
Rookie

oem nightmare that never ends. this new one has lasted about 6 months now. 3 months with the leveling kit so i hope it lasts longer.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:28 AM
79cadillac

I had the exact same problem last year. truck went in 3 times before they found where the squeak was coming from. Replaced the shock, still squeaked. replaced ball joint, still. Then replaced all the bushings on the drivers side and it was good to go. 2 Weeks later the pass side went!
Just had my axle seal and cv go as well

Old 04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker

its a factory strut. it hasnt been changed yet, but i sprayed some WD40 on it and then rocked the truck as much as i can, and it stopped!!!! for about 20 miles then it came back, its not bad it just drives me crazy knowing something is squeaking

Old 04-01-2010, 02:14 PM
haulinhemi06
Rookie

my guess would be bad strut then. you probably put a temporary seal over the hole (if thats the problem) with the wd40.
then again if youre tie rods have rusted, spray that down with a good coat and see if it comes back. if so you might need to have it replace.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:30 PM
hink320
Default ive had the same problem

both my factory struts went bad, of course, and had one replaced under warranty, then when warranty was up i put monroe struts in myself and within 3 months they both failed and one was squeaking horribly. So i replaced them and within two days the driver side strut was squeaking again, even had a mechanic put a stethoscope on it to determine that was where the squeak was coming from. so i replaced them again, this time with rancho rs5788 struts, and it was like a new truck again...until about two weeks laterm the driver side strut started squeaking bad again today. What could possibly be causing this? The strut bearing or mount maybe? its annoying as hell having my truck squeak over every tiny bump.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Geezir
Veteran

I have the same friggen problem. Annoying squeek coming from the front end.

Ball joints (uppers and lowers) were brand new 6 months ago (replaced with lifetime warranty greasable fittings), shocks brand new 3 months ago put in with level kit (replaced them with aftermarket longer shocks to accomodate level).

Goes in tomorrow to figure out where the squeek is.

Quick Reply: NOT AGAIN!!! squeaking....