3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Add Factory Cruise to an 08 ST

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:47 AM
musicallydeclind
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Add Factory Cruise to an 08 ST

Well, I posted some questions here a while back asking if anyone had installed factory cruise on an 06-08 Ram and didn't really get the response I was looking for but after a couple chats with local state troopers due to the lack of cruise, and some warm weather, I tackled the task. I opened up the steering wheel:
1. Disconnect Negative Battery Terminal
2. Turn wheel to 3 o'clock
3. Remove 10mm bolt on rear of steering wheel using a deep well socket.
4. Turn wheel to 9 o'clock
5. Remove second 10mm bolt on rear of steering wheel using a deep well socket.
6. Gently flip airbag off to the right side without tugging on the wires.

and then I unscrewed the plain black plastic pieces where the cruise buttons should reside using a phillips screwdriver and low and behold, there was wiring plugged into the back of each black piece. The angels came down from the heavens and the dome light shone brightly despite the battery cable being disconnected.

I went over to http://www.dodgeparts.com/ and ordered the left and right cruise switches, about $45 shipped. Got them in less than a week and swapped them out with the faux buttons last night. After bolting everything back in as it should be and reattaching the battery ground, I took it out on the highway for the test. I've read of some drive-by-wire vehicles needing an ECM flash to work after the button install but much to my delight, the cruise light on the left side of the guage cluster illuminated with the second push of the button and everything seemed to work as it should.

So, for just $45 and about 20 minutes of hoping the airbag doesn't deploy from a static charge, you too can add Factory cruise to your poor man's truck. Hopefully, this will increase my mpg and decrease the number of my roadside chats.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:17 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Well, that is very cool. Who knew it was that simple? Say thanks to the Dodge folks for pre-wiring everything! We have pre-wired fogs, pre-wired cab lights, etc....Praise the Lord!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:19 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wll done, my 03 SXT came with cruise control and was surprised when you said yours didn't. The base model is missing most of the wiring of the SLT's. So you have to be creative at times.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:31 PM
musicallydeclind

Hell, I didn't know about the fog lights. I guess I'll be doing that next. So they're already wires at the location for the lights that are tied back to the existing headlight switch?

Old 04-08-2010, 01:49 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Well, the OEM kit comes with a replacement switch with fog controls. If you look on the drivers side behind the bumper, you may see a wire there that is not connected to anything. That would be the fog light wiring. The kit comes with a wiring harness to plug into that and goes to both lights.

For the 2008 model, you have to go to the dealer to have them set the fog light option on the PCM. My dealer did it in about 5 minutes and did not charge me. Some will probably charge an hour labor.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:45 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by musicallydeclind
Well, I posted some questions here a while back asking if anyone had installed factory cruise on an 06-08 Ram and didn't really get the response I was looking for but after a couple chats with local state troopers due to the lack of cruise, and some warm weather, I tackled the task. I opened up the steering wheel:
1. Disconnect Negative Battery Terminal
2. Turn wheel to 3 o'clock
3. Remove 10mm bolt on rear of steering wheel using a deep well socket.
4. Turn wheel to 9 o'clock
5. Remove second 10mm bolt on rear of steering wheel using a deep well socket.
6. Gently flip airbag off to the right side without tugging on the wires.

and then I unscrewed the plain black plastic pieces where the cruise buttons should reside using a phillips screwdriver and low and behold, there was wiring plugged into the back of each black piece. The angels came down from the heavens and the dome light shone brightly despite the battery cable being disconnected.

I went over to http://www.dodgeparts.com/ and ordered the left and right cruise switches, about $45 shipped. Got them in less than a week and swapped them out with the faux buttons last night. After bolting everything back in as it should be and reattaching the battery ground, I took it out on the highway for the test. I've read of some drive-by-wire vehicles needing an ECM flash to work after the button install but much to my delight, the cruise light on the left side of the guage cluster illuminated with the second push of the button and everything seemed to work as it should.

So, for just $45 and about 20 minutes of hoping the airbag doesn't deploy from a static charge, you too can add Factory cruise to your poor man's truck. Hopefully, this will increase my mpg and decrease the number of my roadside chats.
Sup dude i have an 06 ram ST..... i have a cruise button that lights up when i hit it but it dont work... does this mean i dont have cruise like u didnt? or do i have cruise just aint workin lol

Old 04-08-2010, 09:35 PM
southjerseyram

Musicallydeclind, i got lost trying to find the part numbers for the cruise control switches on the website. lol. Can you post the numbers??? Thanks Rick

Old 04-08-2010, 09:49 PM
tlawre87
Veteran

I did the fog lamps on my truck a couple months ago, but I've been lazy and haven't taken mine in to get the lamps "turned on." I have several other repairs that are needed though.
Im surprised though with yours being an 08 also you didn't have to have it turned on by a dealer. Thats awesome it worked though.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:02 AM
musicallydeclind

Originally Posted by southjerseyram
Musicallydeclind, i got lost trying to find the part numbers for the cruise control switches on the website. lol. Can you post the numbers??? Thanks Rick
Here is my order e-mail. No part numbers but after you select your year/make/model, if you click through the list under 'item:' it will take you right there.

Items Ordered:
Item: Steering wheel, Steering wheel and trim, Cruise switch, Cruise switch Right
Price: $11.58
Tax: $0.00
Qty: 1
Total: $11.58

Item: Steering wheel, Steering wheel and trim, Cruise switch, Cruise switch Left
Price: $13.20
Tax: $0.00
Qty: 1
Total: $13.20

-----------------------------
Items Total: $24.78
Shipping: $9.95
Handling Fee: $0.00
Order Total: $34.73

We recommend that you print a copy of this email for your records.

To view the status of your order, go to:
https://www.dodgeparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html , and click on Order Status.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:08 AM
musicallydeclind

Originally Posted by hoss67
Sup dude i have an 06 ram ST..... i have a cruise button that lights up when i hit it but it dont work... does this mean i dont have cruise like u didnt? or do i have cruise just aint workin lol
I can't be sure. I know the '08 4.7L received some upgrades (16 spark plugs) over the 06-07. Is your truck drive-by-wire (no throttle cable)? Just look at your throttle body under the hood and see if there is a cable leading to a butterfly or a little black box. If your truck is drive-by-wire (little black box) and you added the buttons, then I'm befuddled but if you have a throttle cable then, you likely have a bad servo or other mechanical item under the hood. Or if you have a throttle cable and you added the buttons, then you're missing some components. The drive-by-wire trucks' cruise is all handled in the computer with no hardware past the buttons so if the light comes on you're in business.

Quick Reply: Add Factory Cruise to an 08 ST