3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny flush vs drop pan fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:26 PM
kcdaniels
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny flush vs drop pan fluid change

First would like to say great site here! dont know how I missed it all this time.
Been a Mopar guy for 30 years
I just bought a 04 ram hemi with 60000 miles, from the outside it looks like new. just dont know how well maintance was done.
I called my dodge dealer was told $145 for a tranny flush, I said that I would rather do a drop pan fluid change and was told "old style" was $250
what Iam I missing here? I aways thought a flush on older trannys not a good thing.

Dan

Old 04-08-2010, 01:08 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are correct mostly. on higher mileage vehicles, doing a flush runs the risk or gunking up your filters and causing problems. it doesnt always happen, but theres a pretty good chance. also, doing a flush is similar to changing your oil without changing the filter. i dont really agree with that.

if it were me, i would drop the pan myself, and change both filters. and replace the fluid in the pan (about 7-8qts) then i would dissconnect the cooler line that sends fluid back to the tranny, and connect a rubber hose to it and lead that into a bucket. run the truck for a few seconds to pump some of the fluid out, then shut down and fill up. do that until the fluid coming out is bright red, or you have used a total of 17qts of fluid.

also, only use ATF+4, nothing else.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:39 PM
kcdaniels
Amateur

Thanks for the info, Thats about what I thought. 17 qts fluid, man thats alot of juice lol
Well got to put that on my list, first going to change a pinon seal thats leaking. did a search and found a good diy on that.

Last edited by kcdaniels; 04-08-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Markmm0000
Professional

pinion seal is very easy just take your time putting it in.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Duroc
Professional

I don't think that 60,000 is high milage enough to worry about problems with a full flush. Do the full full job while you are there and do the whole 17 quarts. you'll feel better when its done.

Quick Reply: Tranny flush vs drop pan fluid change