3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

08 Ram, little rust, what undercoat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:08 AM
joee0914
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Ram, little rust, what undercoat?

I know this has probably been covered a ****load of time but i can find what im looking for with the search soo... I've been trying to figure out which product to use to undercoat my truck. I just picked up the truck about a week ago and noticed a little rust, just a few quater sized spots and such. I need this truck to last for... well..forever, so im gunna knock those rust spots out and undercoat it, but which would be best for my situation: POR15, Herculiner, 3M bedliner, or a regular rattle can undercoat????

Old 04-11-2010, 01:52 AM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went rattle can and to be honest I only used one can on my o6. They looked like dodge used regular paint for rust protection hell I went rubberised I , like you, have got to make this sucker last.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:35 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

THIS is what i used. I purchased an undercoating gun and 3 bottles. I used them all. I did underneath my truck with 2 heavy coats 2 yrs ago and I will touch it up this year and let it go for another 2yrs. I dont have too many miles on my truck but I have driven in every single snow storm here in upstate NY and rinse after I drive each storm due to salt, but here's pics of what unde my truck currently looks like.
Name:  P2040114.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  60.1 KB
Name:  P2040115.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  57.2 KB
Name:  P2040118.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  69.6 KB

They do have aerosol cans for touch up type stuff, but it's not meant for the durability like when your spray it yourself. The texture from a compressor sprayer is adjustable and comes out very even, nothing like the texture of a rattle can, plus it will cover more area. Hardest part was spraying and getting all the areas evenly working upside down with a paint can...lol
I taped and covered the driveshaft, transfercase & transmission and any threaded bolt ends and heads so the undercaoting didn't weld them in place. This stuff is rubberized and is a softer kind of undercoating unlike using a Permanent POR15 type of paint.

Also, the prep work for that coating requires minimal prep work, such as spraying the undercarriage, letting it dry and then wiping any dirty areas away prior to spraying. That's it. Most permamnent coatings like POR15 or bedliner spry will need a surface scuff and special prep(primed) before application or the integrity of the product will not hold up.

Anyways, Welcome to DF and hoepfully this helps.

Quick Reply: 08 Ram, little rust, what undercoat?