3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can't diagnose broken power door lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010 | 06:39 PM
Steve Ruddy
|
Default Can't diagnose broken power door lock

I have a drivers power door lock out. I pulled the plug off the actuator and put a trouble light on it while operating the switch and one of the terminals light up when operating the switch so I figured the actuator was gone. I just put a new one in from the Dodge dealer and it still doesn't work. All the other locks work. I checked the harness all the way to were it goes into the cab. No broken wires. I couldn't find it after that. It looked like it came into the cab behind something I couldn't access. The truck has remote keyless entry if that matters. It works but doesn't lock or unlock the drivers door. Help!

Old 04-17-2010 | 07:22 PM
Steve Ruddy
|

more info. there are 4 wires going to the actuator plug
  1. Balck with purple strip
  2. Purple
  3. Beige with Green stripe
  4. Lime Green

I pulled both plugs from the drivers side switches and found there was continuity between the black ground wire going to the long plug and both the Purple wire and Black with purple stripe. I was not able to establish continuity to either of the other two wires but seems like there has to be as the lime green wire lights my trouble light when the switch is thrown however the beige with green strip does not. I suspect this is the problem but cant trace it to the plug or beyond.

Old 04-17-2010 | 07:39 PM
Steve Ruddy
|

I finally figured out the wires to the actuator come from the cab not the switches. I discovered that by taking off the drivers side kick panel The wires from that actuator plug could be traced and I found the beige with green strip was cut in two. Looks like the work of some alarm install. The factory alarm doesn't work and it looks like at one point there was an aftermarket alarm installed. All I see of it now is wire taps and an alarm horn thats not hooked up.

Old 04-17-2010 | 08:20 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

how do i trace the wires for the rear passenger door i got the same problem but its the back door i had the door panel off and couldn't find wires anywhere i dono but its really bothering me.

Old 04-18-2010 | 12:34 AM
rcman0056
Professional

Originally Posted by Denniss66
how do i trace the wires for the rear passenger door i got the same problem but its the back door i had the door panel off and couldn't find wires anywhere i dono but its really bothering me.
Find the motor that moves the lock up and down and follow the wires off of it. If there is no motor then you just have a manual lock which would be odd.

If you bought the truck used like that then the previous owner may have taken it off to replace one of the front locks.

Quick Reply: Can't diagnose broken power door lock