3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fog Lamp Wiring - For those who can read a diagram

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 09:57 AM
mudkicker78
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Lamp Wiring - For those who can read a diagram

I have put together a simple wiring diagram for those who don't want the lights to come on with the lowbeams. Also looking around this may save a little on the cost of the 60 dollar harness for those who are pricing the 160+ dollar foglights out, I search foglamps in google products to find the best value. Youll Still need to find the ends for the plugs to the lights themself. Best i found were the foglamps at 59 shipped free, bezels wich can be ordered later are 35 minimum and the wiring harness is 66 dollars plus shipping.

WARNING! This diagram is for the stock lights, not HID. I can't tell you what AMPERAGES to change them to on your fuses/relay. This is a stock setup. It is Extremely important you follow the diagram. not all Relays are the same. 86 and 85 are the coil in the relay, when power crosses the coil, the relay closes and power sitting at 30 flows through to 87 and your foglights turn on
TIP: If your wondering how open/close works in a electrical diagram, look at your front door on your house, if it's open it doesnt make a connection from the left side of the door to the right side. If it's closed it makes a connection, thus the circuit is closed.
What you will need:
any 12VDC 3 Amp rocker or toggle switch
a 30 Amp 12VDC Normal Open 4 pin relay ( Normal Open is important)
(2) fuse holders
(1) 15 Amp fuse
(1) 2 Amp fuse
(1) package Ring connectors
(1) package female spaid connectors
(4) Spools hookup wire 16 Guage (red, black, blue and green)

Last edited by mudkicker78; 05-15-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:03 AM
mudkicker78
Professional

whoops i resized the image

Last edited by mudkicker78; 05-15-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:32 PM
xanadu62
Rookie

Dude, not to burst your bubble or anything, but I got and installed my fogs for free. I just ran a power wire in parallel to the hot on the lights, tied the grounds together, and ran the wire to a switch underneath my dash for a ground interrupt. That way I don't have to worry about anything having to do with any ignition, harness, installation, or any other problems that might occur because it's set up on a separate circuit than the rest of the truck. The old ways are best.(And more simple!)

Old 04-27-2010, 03:57 PM
mudkicker78
Professional

your foglamps are drawing 15 amps, not to be a dick, but i wouldnt want to take a chance of 15 amps sparkin a fire in the cab under the dash, this way puts a 15 amp fuse before a 30 amp relay that sits in the engine bay and a 2 amp fused wire in the cab, The risk of fire is always a problem even when wired correctly, you have to be careful where you run your leads and make sure you put chaff guards on the hole harness, not saying your way is wrong, im saying my way is safer

Quick Reply: Fog Lamp Wiring - For those who can read a diagram