3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front diff, fluid change, trying something new

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:57 AM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front diff, fluid change, trying something new

I'm hoping this goes all right,i still really don't know why i'm doing it this way.Well I'm gonna try a technique that was brought up on a number of threads. If all goes well I should have close too a full amount of used diff,fluid out of pumpkin as I will end up putting in.Course the slightest hint of metal found and it's open up time. This is the cheap stuff btw, says it's good with lsd rears,should be good for my front. As always any thoughts on this procedure??043.jpg?t=1272289499

Old 04-26-2010, 10:29 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I see nothing wrong with the fluid as it all passes standardized tests to even be labeled and sold....although Synthetic would be my only choice.
As far as pumping the old fluid out....I'm not sure that siphon pump will be sufficient as gear oil is very viscous(thick). I have a different style siphon. Looks like a grease gun body with a push/pull at one end and a tube on the other and it works awesome. All metal construction. Paid $15 for it at NAPA. I have had mine for 4 years now.

Regarding the metal...You will likely see sparklies floating around and that is normal to an extent. If your sucking up chunks that you can feel when rubbed between your fingers, then the cover needs to come off for a visual and deeper clean.
What I like to do when sucking the fluid out is get all the fluid you can out and then squirt in a bottle of the new stuff and rotate the axles by hand a few times. Give the fluid time to settle and then suck that out as well. This will clean up some of the residue left over by the old fluid if it's really dirty. If it's not that bad, then just refill and clos'er back up.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:46 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a buddy with a 150 HP Murcery outboard used that brand of fluid for years and never had a problem. I could never get myself to try it and always went for the high price OMC stuff in my 175 HP Evinrude. Probably comes from the same damn place. LOL...

But, as 'Dog recommends, I'd go with a synthetic, must be a reason that Dodge specs it. I only go with Lucas HD dead dino in the rear because Aurburn is so adamant about NOT using a synthetic.

As far as the siphon goes, that's the kind we would use back in my teen years to steal gas (Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I don't think you are gonna find it will be sufficient enough for gear lube and I, for one, can't pass up a chance to look at the differential...

Old 04-26-2010, 02:13 PM
rocket23
Champion

All valid points,seems like i'm leaning in the wrong direction here. I could return everything and spend twice as much. I'm thinking for a front drive that sees limited action, but at the same time you wouldn't want too fail at those times. I'm told that that axle is turning 24/7 and only gets worked, (if you will) when switched too 4 wheel drive. That being the case I'm leaning too a full blown fluid change and a sneak peak a that pesky pumpkin , thats a small pita too reinstall.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:33 PM
espinosafell
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket23
All valid points,seems like i'm leaning in the wrong direction here. I could return everything and spend twice as much. I'm thinking for a front drive that sees limited action, but at the same time you wouldn't want too fail at those times. I'm told that that axle is turning 24/7 and only gets worked, (if you will) when switched too 4 wheel drive. That being the case I'm leaning too a full blown fluid change and a sneak peak a that pesky pumpkin , thats a small pita too reinstall.
When are you doing this? I have the fluid for my rear but may also get fluid for the front and would like to do this weekend.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:33 PM
stenerson
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never had luck with those little pumps.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:50 PM
rocket23
Champion

Originally Posted by espinosafell
When are you doing this? I have the fluid for my rear but may also get fluid for the front and would like to do this weekend.
If it ever stops f&^king raining this weekend I'm also or have I should say, returned all the stuff and went too auto zone, I got the pump like ddog"s, six quarts of mobil 1 syn 5w=20 the mobil 1 filter, three quarts synthetic gear lube 75w-90,(for the front diff) all for 80 bucks not too bad.

Last edited by rocket23; 04-26-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:11 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket23
I'm thinking for a front drive that sees limited action, but at the same time you wouldn't want too fail at those times. I'm told that that axle is turning 24/7 and only gets worked, (if you will) when switched too 4 wheel drive.
Actually, the front sees almost as much action as the rear, except the load on the ring/pinion is on the backside rather than the front side. Other than not being in 4wd, every component sees similar wear but the fluid break down take's alittle longer because there is less heat going on. All bearings are still spinning as much.

THIS is the type I have except i have one hose at the bottom. Simple push pull. The handle is a pull out/suck in or push in to push the fluid out. Very little air gets pulled in and if you go slow you get like 95% capacity on one stroke. Seals well. Hold about .8qts I looked around and couldn't find anything else. Not even on NAPA's site, but I bought it from the local store. I went in and asked for a Heavy duty fluid pump.
It allows you to bend the tube and push the fluid in through the fill hole, but beware, just because the hose goes in don';t mean it will come out..haha I got mine stuck in my exploder front diff.
Mine has the bottom cap that unscrews so I can pour nearly the 1 qt in there rather than suck it in so I can re-fill the diffs with ease.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:20 PM
rocket23
Champion

Not exactly the same type but for 12 bucks I jumped on it, and with all the other stuff I got wasn.t too bad. btw the clerk behind the counter punched in my truck and came up with platinum plugs too replace oem plugs. uh champions btw.??

Old 04-26-2010, 06:52 PM
rocket23
Champion

But, as 'Dog recommends, I'd go with a synthetic, must be a reason that Dodge specs it.
I'm gonna take you and dogs' lead here and do the synthetic as peviously posted. It's gonna be awhile before I post again. You two and others have always known where I was coming from. Time to drive away I'm afraid.too much drama in this forum. reach me at my e-mail .If I decide too return, If you want or whenever.

Quick Reply: Front diff, fluid change, trying something new