3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

abs/e-brake light and vacuum pump running after truck is turned off!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:25 PM
solidsender
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation abs/e-brake light and vacuum pump running after truck is turned off!

First time poster and owner of a 2002 1500 quad cab 4x4 sport.

Anyway, while I was taking my kid to ball practice I heard the "oh s#!%" chime go off and immediately scanned my gauges. The ABS light was on and then the E brake light came on. As I ran down the mental check list of possible culprits, I detected a groaning noise coming from just behind the steering wheel.

I immediately pulled over and shut the truck down, yet the groaning continued until I pumped the brakes a few times and it stopped.

Not wanting to put my kid in danger, I started the truck and turned back for the barn. When I returned put her in park and popped the hood; the noise sounded like an electric motor running near or in the master cylinder. I shut the truck down and the noise continued no matter what I did, until I pulled the battery cable off.

I have had no problems with the brakes and the pedal pressure and stopping power always seems adequate and smooth.

I am truly stumped and other than taking the damn thing to a dealer, I have no idea what to do.

I am open to any suggestions that you guys may have.

Thanks for your time,

Mike

Last edited by solidsender; 04-26-2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: 1/2 ton, not 3/4
Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 AM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

Did you feel any pedal pulse at all. Sounds like your ABS is tripping mad *****. Sorry this is not all that helpful but is there not an ABS dedicated fuse in these trucks. If that is the case then try to pull that fuse and see if the symptoms continue.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:36 AM
solidsender
Default Any little bit helps!

No pedal pulse or any other warning sign (minus idiot lights) whatsoever...

I also found this http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...0&summary=true

I would like to see if the above recall may be the culprit; anybody else have any problems like the one mentioned above?

Also, as funny as it may sound, my wife asked me if the battery may just need to be replaced. Before I get laughed off the forums and the big flat-black Ram comes in to conduct a hot extract of my sorry a$$ to GITMO, I must explain her logic: Couple of years ago, we had a 1500 Silverado that started acting up. All sorts of electrical issues like the horn honking, radio turning on and off, crap mileage, lights flashing etc. etc...

After spending much blood and treasure chasing down the culprit I decided that since I had changed everything else, I might as well change the battery.

After 5 minutes of install, the problems were no more.

It's time for a new battery anyway so it can't hurt...

Last edited by solidsender; 04-27-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:07 AM
abarmby
Champion

I think I read a post on here, that the ABS connector down below the battery tray as out lined in your link, can and does get corroded terminals from water ingress.
The guy cleaned up the terminals and connectors,filled them with dielectric grease, reset the PCM by doing the disconnect battery and all was good again.
Pop off this connector and check those terminals.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:47 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, there is no vacuum pump on these trucks so Im not sure what would sound like an electric motor running after it is cut off. My wifes Mini has a DC driven PS pump and they are BAD about going bad and they WILL continue to run after the engine is off.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Bent
Veteran

My service vehicle had the ABS modulator pump get stuck on - constant groaning noise even when the key was turned off.
I pulled the fuse to save my battery - and the garage changed a relay to solve the problem. (it wasn't as expensive as having to buy a pump)

Old 04-27-2010, 01:22 PM
solidsender
Default Found the problem...

Well, thanks to you guys I have located the issue and have determined that the ABS hydraulic unit located directly behind the battery is malfunctioning.

Tried to blow out the connectors with comp air several times and the unit continues to run when the battery is hooked back up.

Unless you guys have any other ideas I think I have to take this one to the shop as I don't want to screw around and cause my ABS to malfunction down the road.

Thanks for the help in figuring this one out.

Quick Reply: abs/e-brake light and vacuum pump running after truck is turned off!