3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010 | 08:58 AM
Beastro
|
Veteran
Default Got some Questions

Ok first how do you know when to replace leaf springs mine are from the factory and the prev own towd with it and im going to do a level with an ad a leaf. And second this is probly more personal opinon. Im going to be ordering new rims and tiers (35s) now in maine they salt roads and sand all the good stuff. should I by a set of cheapo rims and tiers(winter tiers) for the winter and have the nice set for good weather? lets hear the feed back thanks

Old 04-29-2010 | 09:05 AM
dublduty
Professional

Springs generally need to be replaced when they either flatten out or in some instances bend the opposite way. If they are not arched then ya need new ones. Any vibrations at take off or highway speeds are also a good sign the springs are gone due to the changes in the driveshaft/rearend ratio. Add a leaf will fix the problem. Good luck

Old 04-29-2010 | 09:11 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion

wheels and tires is up to you honestly. if you have the cash, i'd say yes. salt is the arch nemesis of chrome/metal. unless you religiously wash it in the winter, you're gonna put a hurtin on the chromies. steel tend to be the most resistant to salt corrosion

Old 04-29-2010 | 10:02 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Good advice, but if'n it were me, I'd do air bags rather than add-a-leafs. I've had both and the leafs are just an uncomfortable riding PIA when you ain't got the bed loaded down. Bags are the way to go...

Old 04-29-2010 | 11:06 AM
Beastro
|
Veteran

Ok il need to look for some winter tiers thanks. I never thought of the air bags What are a good brand and is it a pain to install. My leafs are kinda flat compared to other trucks

Quick Reply: Got some Questions