3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bout to pop a new cherry today........

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:47 AM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bout to pop a new cherry today........

Whats going on guys? I HAVE to put these pads and rotors on today, last day before inspection runs out. I've never done either before, but I feel like I can tackle this. I just need a little more detailed diagram/DIY on the whole project. I've seen Bullet's DIY thread on the pads, but IIRC he didn't do the rotors as well. Any little tidbit of info would be awesome!

BTW......I did end up going with the ebay-special Brakemotive's. Super fast shipping, and everything seems to be of high quality. Getting excited to get'er done!!

Thanks fellas.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:00 AM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

The pads you know about then. The rotors all you have to do is after you get the calipers and pads off and hung out of the way is take the mounting bracket for the calipers off. Should be two bolts on the back side and pretty large ones. Once you have that off the rotor will come right off. Just a little hint. Look at the front of the rotor where your lugs are. There may be a star locking washer on one of them holding the rotor on there. You may have it, you may not. I know mine did. Just take that off and the rotors are off!!!! Easy my friend.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:20 AM
boopadoopa
Professional

You may also need to spray a little penetrating oil around where the bolts come out to loosen up rotor so it comes off if not you may need to hammer a little if they are stuck. But generally they come right off.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:37 AM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Seems simple enough. I admit, I'm a little aprehensive about fooling with these things, being my first time. Brakes are nothing to play with, but I don't have anyone around really that can/will help, and I have no monies to pay someone, so...... Here's comes a learning experience! Thanks guys, I'll have an update sometime or another today!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:33 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont worry about it man it was my first time and i got it done. You will do fine

Old 04-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Matt99
Champion

its not a big deal at all, takes twenty minutes minus removing the tire

Old 04-30-2010, 02:16 PM
southernbnb
Captain

yeah what johhny said. when i did my level my rotors had two of those little things. just grab them with a pair of pliers and yank them off. they are leftovers from the assembly line. they put them on there to hold the rotors in place as the vehicle moves down the line before they put on the wheels and tires. other than that its a cake job. super easy. just take ur time and pay attention and you will be fine!!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:37 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you have brake cleaner and clean all the residue off the new rotors before you install them. That is highly important. Also use caliper grease and regrease the slider bolts and boots. Last thing you want is for the caliper to seize up on you.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Matt99
Champion

I didnt know to regrease the sliders and boots...ohh well

Quick Reply: Bout to pop a new cherry today........