3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Codes 02 Ram 1500 - 4.7 v8

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:31 PM
LegendRacer6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to update this. I did replace the spark plug on #2 and found that plug was flat wore out. Checked the gap on it = .085 yeah.... Replacing it seems to have solved the issue for now. I just bought a cheap copper plug to see if that would fix it. Now I'm looking into buying a better quality set of 8 to replace them all sometime in the next week or two.

Thanks for the help and info.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by LegendRacer6
I wanted to update this. I did replace the spark plug on #2 and found that plug was flat wore out. Checked the gap on it = .085 yeah.... Replacing it seems to have solved the issue for now. I just bought a cheap copper plug to see if that would fix it. Now I'm looking into buying a better quality set of 8 to replace them all sometime in the next week or two.

Thanks for the help and info.
Don't go super fancy on the plugs, everything I've ever heard says that all of our motors run best with the Champion Copper Cores or NGK's.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:52 PM
LegendRacer6

Originally Posted by Shiloh 24
Don't go super fancy on the plugs, everything I've ever heard says that all of our motors run best with the Champion Copper Cores or NGK's.
Right. I was reading in the 3rd gen FAQs Spark Plugs thread and it seems OEM replacements maybe the way to go. And that's fine by me

Old 05-19-2010, 03:47 PM
hontzy87
Professional

Changing one plug mine as well change em all while your at it. That is if it's been 30k miles.

Sorry, was only on the first page haha

Old 05-28-2010, 04:34 PM
LegendRacer6

Anyone know why P302 code and the engine misfiring be such an inconsistent problem. The new sparkplug didn't fix it. Not every day but more often then not when I start it cold you can hear and feel that #2 not firing. It only lasts for a few seconds and then its fine.

Now I have another problem with overheating. The auxiliary fan decided it's not going to work any more. I know it was working recently because you can hear it at idle if it's running. And sitting in line at the race track getting in 90 degree weather the engine temp wouldn't change just stay in the normal range in the middle. Now if I sit idle for more than 15 seconds it creeps to the right hot side... I figured maybe for some reason it's low on coolant and topped it off. That fixed it for a few days but it's back overheating. It honestly sounds like something much much more costly than a spark plug, or coil. I think I'm going to have to park it for a few days unless anyone here has had this happen. Checking/changing the oil today or Sunday will be parked til then. If I find coolant in the oil I'm screwed... and this would probably be the last Dodge I buy

Oh the truck only has 58000miles, 2002, 4.7. I baby this thing daily and the race car and trailer doesn't weigh more than 2000lbs and that's only 20-25, 20-60 mile trips a year. I'm not sure but I wouldn't consider that too heavy of use... Oh well, HELP please

Last edited by LegendRacer6; 05-28-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:29 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
why do i always assume everyone has the hemi? lol ugh...
if they made them with a manual thats not a 2500, i would own a hemi .... to many people gettin lazy these days

Old 05-29-2010, 09:20 AM
KingsMan
Amateur

Hmm, still misfiring and now overheating? Are you losing coolant? These two could be related. Have you done pressure checks (compression and cooling system)? Looks like that might be the next step. You might have the common 4.7 head or gasket problem. Steam from the exhaust would be a dead giveaway on that.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:18 PM
LegendRacer6

Thanks for all the help everyone. I was able to trade in the 02 Ram for something different today. Wasn't burning much but I know the dealer knows it will need head work/gasket. I still have the 93 Dakota, but no more Dodge as the daily driver.

Awesome forum here though, I know my little bro still browses the forum for his 95 Ram 2500. And I'll be back when I decide to replace the brake master cylinder on the Dakota so it has brakes again lol.

Thank you!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:08 AM
oiscoot
Default Same Problem

I had the same exact issue with p302 code...replaced coil packs and plugs numerous times with OEM parts. Code still came back. Took it to my local mechanic (since the dealers are worthless). He even couldn't figure it out. He did read on a forum SOMEWHERE that this could be a loose rocker arm on that clynder. I havent had time to check this yet since the truck runs fine! It was just a pain when you have to go for inspection and they keep failing you for emissions!

Old 04-18-2017, 10:57 AM
ii_SilentSniper
Default Same Problem

I have the same p0302 code on my 2002 dodge ram 1500 with a 4.7 magnum. I have replaced all 8 sparkplugs and even the ignition coil on #2. Starting to get a pit frustrated lol not gonna lie but trying to figure it out.

Quick Reply: Engine Codes 02 Ram 1500 - 4.7 v8