3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

old 4.7 for new 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:14 PM
myoukey
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pictures. Pictures do make the world of truck mods an easier place to live in.... My PCM has 3 plugs in it, so from what you were sating earlier I have a 16 tooth tone ring and the newer 4.7s have a 32 tooth tone ring. I have been able to find the newer 4.7s for about $500 cheaper than I have been able to find the older ones for. Since you have done this - is the outcome worth the effort, or would it be better to build off the old style 4.7?

Old 05-31-2010, 12:29 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In my opinion yes, it was worth it. I got a steal on the engine, $750 for the engine, trans, and t case. I got my dakota qc for $1800 on CL, so under $3000 I had a nice truck with a newer engine and all fresh gaskets. And a spare trans to go with it.

If you can find a lower milage 4.7 for less money I would say don't be afraid to attempt it if you have the mechanical ability and are willing to be patient and do a good job. It is a good time to redo all of the gaskets and seals that will cause you problems down the road and be a pain to get to, and you can even go a step further if you'd like and put in new bearings. I ended up finding a connecting rod with a crack in it and a chunk of metal missing. If I was unlucky enough to have been able to just put it in the truck without tearing it down who knows what could have happened.

I've been meaning to do a write up, hence all the pictures. and I got really into it and painted everything, only to cover it all up with the intake. But that paid off also, I decided to not change my valve cover gaskets because I got cheap and figured if they went bad it wasn't too hard to replace them. Well, it wasn't that easy, but because of the paint I was able to see the oil leaking down the clean paint a little and traced it to the valve cover.

If you do this and you need any help let me know.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:03 PM
ljhopp
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year of engine did you use? Did you use the engine that has two plugs per cylinder or the engine that still has 1 plug per cylinder?

Has anyone swapped a new model 4.7 engine that has two plugs per cylinder for a 4.7 that has 1 plug per cylinder?

I think this is the question he is asking?

Old 06-02-2021, 02:57 PM
WompRatPlinker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put a 4.7 from an 03 Durango into an 04 RAM. It fired up on the first try, but it's throwing code p0344-cam sensor intermittent-and seems to be in limp mode. It idles fine, but won't get past 2400 rpms. I didn't break anything down to look because I knew they both had the four plug computers. Did Dodge change the crank and cam sensors at the same time? Is it possible that I have one old and one new style? If so,would it even run at all like that?

Old 06-02-2021, 10:50 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts
The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (06-03-2021)