3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 Ram 1500, Trans Slips, P2706 code

Old 05-22-2010, 03:44 PM
lynster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Ram 1500, Trans Slips, P2706 code

2002 Dodge Ram 1500
4.7L engine
45RFE 4-speed automatic

Problem:
Occasional slippage
Check engine light (the MIL) comes on
OBD-II scanner reads code P2706: MS Solenoid (Multi-Shift)

Seems to be intermittant, but getting worse. There are times when the vehicle performs normally and the error clears itself.

Vehicle has ~120k miles with original fluid. (yes, I feel guilty about this...)
Fluid appears very clean, does not smell burned, and is at proper levels, cold and hot.

Fault code appears to point at a defective MS Solenoid assy (inside the tranny), or,
a defective TCM module

Some questions:
1. Is the Solenoid assy a common failure? or might this more commonly be the TCM?
2. As viewed from underneath the Trans, it appears the Solenoid assy is mounted on top of the valve body. One must assume the valve body needs to be removed. Can this be done in my driveway (Trans still in the truck) without danger of critical parts dropping out?
3. Would changing the fluid and filters resolve this?

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to have a better idea of how to approach this before I start dumping a lot of $$ for a fix.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:07 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lynster
2002 Dodge Ram 1500
4.7L engine
45RFE 4-speed automatic

Problem:
Occasional slippage
Check engine light (the MIL) comes on
OBD-II scanner reads code P2706: MS Solenoid (Multi-Shift)

Seems to be intermittant, but getting worse. There are times when the vehicle performs normally and the error clears itself.

Vehicle has ~120k miles with original fluid. (yes, I feel guilty about this...)
Fluid appears very clean, does not smell burned, and is at proper levels, cold and hot.

Fault code appears to point at a defective MS Solenoid assy (inside the tranny), or,
a defective TCM module

Some questions:
1. Is the Solenoid assy a common failure? or might this more commonly be the TCM?
2. As viewed from underneath the Trans, it appears the Solenoid assy is mounted on top of the valve body. One must assume the valve body needs to be removed. Can this be done in my driveway (Trans still in the truck) without danger of critical parts dropping out?
3. Would changing the fluid and filters resolve this?

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to have a better idea of how to approach this before I start dumping a lot of $$ for a fix.
that sounds like a faulty solenoid to me. i have heard of them failing before. you are correct that it is located above the VB. so you will need to drop the pan, remove both filters, and drop the VB. it is very easy to do, just messy without having a drainplug on the pan. only thing you will have to worry about is getting the shift linkage shaft lined back up properly (not hard at all). personally, i would give the solenoid a shot, and replace fluid/filters while you are in there. reason being, if you do fluid and filters and it doesnt fix it and you need to replace solenoid. you will have to drop the pan again, and waste 6-7 qts of fluid.

here are some pics for your reference.

tranny with pan off

Name:  DSC_0085.jpg
Views: 6755
Size:  69.4 KB

filters removed:

Name:  DSC_0086.jpg
Views: 2411
Size:  70.4 KB

unplug TRS connection on outer driver side of tranny:

Name:  DSC_0015-1.jpg
Views: 4757
Size:  84.5 KB

remove valve body, its held in place by about 6-8 hex bolts

Name:  DSC_0098.jpg
Views: 3333
Size:  66.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0099.jpg
Views: 5581
Size:  70.2 KB

solenoid will be attached to the top of the VB. sorry dont have a good pic of this, sorry.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:23 PM
lynster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really appreciate the reply and the pics... I'll be getting into this as soon as I can.
Wow... these solenoids ain't cheap !!

Old 05-27-2010, 07:59 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also, to take the solenoid off of the valve body, just take 15 of the torx bolts off from directly underneath the solenoid. then it will pop right off. if you have trouble with that, let me know, and i will try to get you some more pics.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Ram 1500, Trans Slips, P2706 code