3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dynomax Ultra-Flow X & true duals

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 12:31 PM
jdpartsman
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dynomax Ultra-Flow X & true duals

Not happy with my current set-up, thinking about going out on a limb and going true dual. Yep, I searched first and found a few guys running the set-up that I'm looking at. One guy had a few muffler failures too if I remember?

Anyway....today I seen a newer F-150 running true duals with a single muffler DIDO like the Dynomax Ultraflow X. I couldn't tell the brand of the muffler by looking at it. We were both at the gas pumps so I asked him how he liked it. He claims he took his brand new truck to the local muffler shop and said "I want better MPG" They proceeded to install the dual exhaust and a K&N intake. I will tell you this guy was older, retired and has lots of $$. He said it sounds good, maybe alittle too loud for him.

I know there a quite afew of you out there running true duals. Seems the common point others try to get across is the need to balance the flow, thus a H or X pipe is needed. Or an X pipe in the muffler should work the same way right?

Just looking for a few opinions here before I go ahead with this. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:05 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello. Aviod the dynomax ultra flow, its a real pos, fiberglass packing inside the muffler will rattle and the welds in the mufler blow out, the ultra flow has a one year warenty, however you will get tired of going back to the muflfler shop every 6 months.

My theroy is the x in the muffler that is supposed to balance out the ex flow is really creating restriction in the ex system, My first kick at a true dual ex system on my hemi 2500 was the dynomax ultra flow.

I have debated the H pipe x pipe crowd and admit that I'm not the expert I may think I am, but my thoughts are this.

1. the stock ex system, left manifold and right manifold are not = balanced from the factery, removing the y pipe will help with ex flow, how ever, your never going to get a trully balanced flow with a x pipe or H pipe, only at the point of a x or h pipe are you going to blance ex flow mid way in the ex system.

2. do not run one muffler with two inlets and two out lets ( dynomax ultra flow ) run two free flowing mufflers, no bigger than 2.5 in, remove the y pipe and run the tail pipes over the rea diff, strait out or cuvre to the right, ruuning pipe out the left side, arround the spare is adding restriction and $$$$ to the conversion.

3. with a automtic you may loss some kick off the start, but you gain performance back in the mid to high rev band, my 06 is a 6sp manual, no loss of tourqe for me.

4. Mufflers, its a real toss up, do you want loud, quiet, all I can advise is go for a free flowing muffler that dosent have fiberglass packing, you will have to check out some one elses conversion to see if you like sound of a mangna flow, delta 40, thursh, ect

I'm ruuning two basic free flwoing mufflers that are not loud ( dynomax ultra flow was louder, more agreesive sound ) and my rear tail pipes were fabbed up ( no mandrell bends) over my rear diff..

Old 05-24-2010, 07:45 PM
jdpartsman
Professional

Thanks for the heads up on the muffler situation. I think I will talk to the muffler shop that installed the dual set-up on the F-150 I looked at, see what they are using and if they have had any problems.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:15 PM
jdpartsman
Professional

Edelbrock SDT DIDO with 2.25" piping anyone?

Old 05-31-2010, 08:40 PM
jdpartsman
Professional

I guess for around $600 I could go with the dual exhaust set up from Exhaust Depot. It looks nice but.....$?

Quick Reply: Dynomax Ultra-Flow X & true duals