3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Dodge Ram Axle Shaft Removal Issue (pic inside)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 11:01 PM
bigdodgeram04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so What is the easiest way to pull the intermediate shaft outta the differential? and do the just pull out???

Old 10-12-2011, 09:21 AM
thillhunting

need help i have a 2002 dodge 4x4. my frontend differential drivers side, i guess its called a shaft that fits to the u joint. is stiped out. i pulled the cv axle off.because its striped to. so i could drive with out being in 4 wheel drive any ways i need to know what the part is called and maybe a diagram of how to take off and put back on. the shaft or what ever it called. thanks

Old 11-23-2011, 12:23 AM
Derg
Default Had the same problem

My half shaft stuck in the axle shaft as well. I pulled them out as an assembly. I chose to loosen up the differential housing rather than breaking off and rewelding the bumper. Of the seven differential mount bolts I took out all but the 2 upper right side ones. the forward one I really loosened up and on the rear one I just removed the nut. This allowed the differential to swing enough out of the way to remove the axles. I took a close up of the axle shaft retaining clip that holds it in the differential housing as others have mentioned you needing to see that it is still in place and hasn't fallen into the differential.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Dodge Ram Axle Shaft Removal Issue (pic inside)-right-side-axle-and-half-shaft.jpg   2004 Dodge Ram Axle Shaft Removal Issue (pic inside)-differential-side-axle-retaining-clip.jpg  

Last edited by Derg; 11-23-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:41 AM
birddseedd
Rookie

Gonna try to fix mine soon. going to have to weld flat stock to the end of the intermediate shaft to hammer it out. does not seem to want to come out. I let a little surface rust get on the new shaft. is sanding it off ok or do i need a new one?

thanks for the help

edit: bought a new one. i do not have the tool to pull it out so welding to the end of it i and a sledge is my only option. any advice?

Last edited by birddseedd; 09-26-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:05 AM
DirtyDodge812
Professional

I tried that and beat the living **** out of it and even used two fork lifts (one pulling up on the shaft and the other pulling down on the housing) to pull the shaft out and no luck, The single best way to do it is to pull off the diff cover, remove the center pin that holds the spider gears, and push the shaft in far enough to remove the c-clip. After that itll pull right out and you can re-assemble the carrier, and no this will no interfere with the gear alignment. It would actually be a lot easier on the diff than beating on it like I had to, wish I woulda known before hand.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:08 AM
birddseedd
Rookie

I know i can do it that way, and if the clip comes off, i have to. but to do it i believe you have to lower the entire diff, not a quick easy job

Old 09-27-2013, 12:34 AM
DirtyDodge812
Professional

you dont need to lower the diff, you can just take the cover off and work on the carrier while the whole diff is still mounted inside the truck. This way you take the clip off so you know you have it. Its smart to replace the fluid, intermediate shafts and seals while your in there anyways. If your keeping the truck for a while and plan on using 4 wheel drive, then do it right the first time.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:25 AM
bigdodgeram04
Default i used bearing seperator and slide hamer yanked right out

Put bearing separator in groove tighten down attach slide hammer give nice yank it pops out, of course this was after three hours of prying and scratching my head

Old 10-20-2013, 11:06 AM
dennisleslie
Amateur

Originally Posted by bigdodgeram04
Put bearing separator in groove tighten down attach slide hammer give nice yank it pops out, of course this was after three hours of prying and scratching my head

Where did you put the bearing separator? How did you have enough room behind in the inner CV and the housing?

Last edited by dennisleslie; 10-20-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:28 PM
birddseedd
Rookie

Cv axle has to be removed. There is a groove on the end of the intermediate shaft about an inch in. This is where the locking clip goes that holds it to the cv axle. There is a special tool that slides into the groove. A slide hammer attaches to that. Is how its designed. I do not want to spend 100 on a tool ill use once so ill just weld a piece of metal to the end and tap it with a sledge. If it doesn't work as it seems it doesn't often, ill remove my plow mount and have to take off the cover.

Next month

Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Ram Axle Shaft Removal Issue (pic inside)