3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C works when driving but not at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:55 PM
red knif
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C works when driving but not at idle

This is feedback for my A/C problem:
The condenser fan was intermittent. When the truck was moving the normal air flow over the fan blades started the fan so everything worked right. The fan motor is pricy ($160) but if that is the cost of comfort I'll pay.
Red

My 03 Ram 2500 hemi's a/c works fine when driving, but pumps hot air when idling. It is hot here in Mississippi and I can not tolerate that. The system is fully charged so I doubt it is a coolant problem. I expect I'll take it to a a/c shop, but want some idea of what is going on so I don't get hosed...again. Thanks for your interest.
Red

Last edited by red knif; 05-28-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: feedback
Old 05-25-2010, 09:07 PM
flwalks
Professional

Check your condenser fan (electric). If it's not spinning with the AC on it won't cool the condenser coil and the AC will blow warm air while truck is not moving.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:55 PM
red knif

flwalks,
Thanks for the reply. The fan is running...I stuck a pine needle in the back of the fan and confirmed that the thing is turning. Are the hvac doors vacuum or electricaly operated? My Chilton book is vague on the subject.
Red

Old 05-25-2010, 11:16 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The doors are controlled by individual (but identical) little servo motors, which are actually quite stout little suckers and almost never fail. However, the doors are cheap, flimsy plastic and are prone to breaking, which in turn sends a signal to the PCM to shut down the motor, this will keep the system from working until the door is repaired and the system cleared so that the PCM restarts the motor...

Old 05-26-2010, 06:30 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

With the compressor on, the condenser fan should run at all times and never cut off. If that is happening even while you are stopped and and blowing hot air but then will blow cold when you start moving, I would be checking my freon level.

Quick Reply: A/C works when driving but not at idle