3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing Chain Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Nothin'_but_trucks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain Gasket

So I'm desperate. I got back home from school on Saturday and was excited about putting all the mods on the truck but I found out that my gasket still hadn't been replaced and I'm kind of stumped.

The timing chain gasket was leaking so I ordered the gasket repair kit only for the mechanic to tell me that one of the rubber gaskets, the race track shaped one, had straight edges instead of the very slightly curved design that the metal gasket has. I was in the states when I got the call and I misunderstood him and reordered another repair kit rather than the gasket itself and the new gasket kit has the same issue. I think I can just very slightly sand down the rubber gasket and it will fit into the metal one but I'm not sure if that would be an appropriate fix.

He's going to try and make it work so I don't have to have something else shipped here but if it doesn't he is thinking that an entire new gasket assembly will be the fix, that however does not make sense to me because the metal gasket is going to have the same shapped cut outs for the rubber gaskets to fit into. Or so I think. Here lies the problem, did the Ram every have a gasket redesign which could allow for this confusion to occur?

I know this is kind of hard to understand but I cannot describe it any other way. I'll see if I can get a picture of it after I'm off of work if that will make things better.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:17 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you tell me exactly what gasket you want, i will get you a part number for it. For a 04 4.7 2wd there is not a timing chain gasket per se' but there is the timing cover gasket and that P/N is 53021226AA which is $2.71 on http://www.wermopar.com/

So LMK what P/N's you need

Old 05-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Nothin'_but_trucks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup that is what I got. Here is a picture actually:

The top gasket is supposed to have a 2-3 mm inward bend to it so I think I can slightly sand it down since that is the only thing restricting it from fitting properly. All the other gaskets fit fine, it is jsut that one. And you are exactly right about it being a timing cover, I guess I was typing faster than I was thinking

Old 05-26-2010, 10:59 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

yeah those are pretty much the same pics I got also. Again, LMK if you need any P/Ns.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Gasket