3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cruise control problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:25 AM
nmshemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control problem

Well I spent all night last night and all morning searching threads and it seems that no one has the same type of cruise control problem that I do.

When the truck is sitting still, I can press the cruise button and the light will come on but once the truck gets up to about 25 mph the "cruise" light will cut off and I can't set the cruise.

The truck was like this when I bought it about a year ago but when I installed a superchips 3865 the cruise started working just fine. It kept working until I removed the superchips. Now I have sold the superchips and am trying to sell the truck but would like to get the cruise fixed before someone buys it.

Anybody have an idea what the problem could be? Would I need to get a dealer to program the computer or something?

Old 06-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probubly need a dealer/mechanic to reflash your PCM.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:39 AM
nmshemi

i thought that might be the solution. I just don't have any mechanics here that can reflash it and no dealerships here in town. Guess I might have to take a little trip to the nearest dealership. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

Your welcome. If it worked with the chip and doesnt work without it, it has to be something in the original program. there is probubly a flash that will fix it.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:47 PM
nmshemi

Thanks for your quick help horseapples. Thought I would give an update for anyone that may have this problem in the future. I took the truck to the dealership this morning and had the computer flashed. Cruise works fine now. They said that the computer and the abs module were not communicating properly.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

You are welcome! Glad it was somthing simple!

Old 06-05-2010, 12:17 AM
rcross29

2005 Ram 1500 (4.7)

I have a problem kind of like this. My cruise works for about 10 minutes or so then quits. I try to turn it back on but have no green light. Now what I do not understand is, when this happens, if I turn the truck off then immediately restart it, I will get the green cruise light.

Anyone else have this problem or know what is causing this?

Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 AM
thompsonk
Default Cruise Control Turns off @ 5 mph - Bad PCM or something else?

nmshemi - My problem is similar - except mine turns off at 5 mph.

I can turn it on (or back on) if the truck is stopped or going less than 5 mph (don't have to turn the truck off to get the light on again, just have to be stopped or going less than 5 mph). I can rev the engine (stopped or under 5mph) and the Cruise light will stay on. But hit 5 mph and it goes off - every time.

Reading other threads on cruise control problems, thought it might be a vacuum line leading to a cruise control servo, but didn't find a vacuum line there. All I found was a throttle bellcrank under the battery tray - man, pulling that was a job - I was going to replace the bellcrank, until I found out that's a $300.00 part. I'd like to be sure what the problem is before I sink that much into what might be an incorrect solution. Now I discover this thread that points to PCM - and I'm glad I came across it.

Everything else on the truck works fine - just the cruise turns off at 5 mph. Reflash the PCM first or other thoughts?

Thanks -
thompsonk

Old 09-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Denniss66
Veteran

well i had problems with my cruise control but it doesn't sound like the problem you guys have. mine wouldn't work at all because i had a broken abs sensor i broke it when i took it out to do lower ball joints and when i put it in my abs and brake lights were on when this happened i had no cruise control so i got a new sensor and it has worked fine ever since then

Old 09-04-2010, 10:16 PM
thompsonk
Default Cruise Control Shuts off @ 5 mph - Shorted PCM?

Just got the truck back from diagnostics @ the dealer - they're telling me it needs a new PCM - there's a short causing the cruise to shut off -- $870 -- this is hard to believe, the only thing that doesn't work is the cruise and it needs a whole new PCM -- does that sound right?

Quick Reply: Cruise control problem