3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP!!!! Please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010 | 07:04 PM
SpeedRat955i
|
Rookie
Exclamation HELP!!!! Please!

I was driving today and the gas gauge went to empty, the check engine light came on.

So i got to work checked the code p0463...cleared it.

(Code P0463 Fuel level sending unit volts too high.)--not sure what that even means.

I drove the truck home from work Engine light did not come on .

My question is when you have the key turned to ACC does your gas gauge peg to the full needle? Also seems like the DTE isnt working it was say 282 miles and not changing. The MPG is working.

I am wondering if my gauge is pegged and stuck or I just need to go for a long drive and see.

I'd Appreciate any help!

Old 06-03-2010 | 07:50 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

My guess is the fuel level sensor needs replaced. it controls the gauge and DTE, but not avg econ. 262 DTE is about what it would show if the fuel tank is full. The sensor thinks your tank is full even when its not.

edit... and no when the key is in the acc position, it should read the correct level of fuel. so its a bad reading unless you just filled up.

Old 06-03-2010 | 08:29 PM
SpeedRat955i
|
Rookie

I just filled up this morning. looks like its working? just drove 25 miles, the needle is no longer pegged on Full.

I filled it this morning when all hell broke loose with the gauge and engine light. I put 14 gallons in it, thinking it was empty and thinking i got room for 10 more gallons so i filled it up pretty good.

Old 06-03-2010 | 09:37 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

You keep having that problem try resetting the pcm and see if it fixes it. You should never try to get that low. It's bad for the fuel pump which relies on the fuel for cooling. Good way to burn up a fuel pump is starve it of gas.