3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need a few question answered

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010 | 08:10 PM
b3st0fth3w0rst
|
Default Need a few question answered

Fule Story Here:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...nt-in-oil.html

So i got the heads back from the machine shop, basically they are screwed. one was warped 14 thousands of an inch and the other was warped too, not as bad though. The wanted to resurface and use a shim between the block and head gasket.

That said, i ordered to Reman heads today and they are on their way.

couple of question:
I'm using felpro OEM replacement HG, should i use the copper spray sealant?

Can i reuse the head bolt? they are still in good condition

Being that the heads were warped, should i get the block checked? or would the block be fine?

any surprises i should look out for? lol

thanks in advance.

Old 06-03-2010 | 09:30 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

The heads are aluminum so they more easily warp that the iron block. With that being said the block is probably ok.

You cannot re-use the head bolts. Get new ones and follow the proper torque sequence and torque numbers

Old 06-03-2010 | 11:26 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

^^^ when weed talks, LISTEN. The man knows his stuff. I have nothing further to add

Old 06-04-2010 | 12:33 AM
b3st0fth3w0rst
|

not to dispute what you are saying as i'm buying new headbolts anyway. but why can't you reuse the head bolts?

Dodge service manual in the cylinder head installation section says:

"NOTE: The cylinder head bolts are tightened using a torque plus angle procedure. The bolts must be examined BEFORE reuse. If the threads are necked down the bolts should be replaced."

Old 06-04-2010 | 01:02 AM
03MopaRamman
Captain

x 3 Weed, Without chasing down references the head bolts on a 5.7 anyways are one time use only as they get stretched on install as designed (did read your story and you got 4.7L which I'm not familiar with) .

As for your copper spray, not sure never heard of that on head gaskets but have had gaskets with copper built into them. Someone thats had their heads of on 4.7L should comment, so Bump.

Old 06-04-2010 | 02:25 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

As 03Moparamman said, the bolts stretch so what happens when you go to reuse them sometimes is when you go to torque them down they snap and break and then youre in more work

Quick Reply: Need a few question answered