3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Painting an exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:22 AM
mptoad
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting an exhaust

So my new flowmaster dual Catback arrived the other day... I'm am not installing for 4 or 5 more days.... So I had a thought....

I hear alot of complaints about flowmaster rusting prematurely... So what happens if I paint the entire thing with a couple coats of Rust-o-leum High Heat paint? Any one ever done this on an exhaust? I would think that it would help protect the metal from water an stuff being thrown up on it from the road, right? Perhaps aviod or atleast delay any build up of rust?

Even the Flowmaster installation instructions say to paint over the welds with something to prevent them from rusting, so why not the whole thing?

Thoughts?

Old 06-05-2010, 04:49 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

You can paint it of course...it is probably a good idea to check it every so often and spray some paint on the welds, etc. I touch mine up every so often.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:48 AM
Duroc
Professional

It couldn't hurt but when my neighbors FM blew apart it had rusted from the inside out.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:55 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its typically not the water from the road as much that causes them to rust. Its the condensation from the exhaust itself on the inside. Painting it would probably help a little -- certainly in the looks category. Dont expect it to not rust out though

Old 06-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My FM Super 40 was completely painted prior to installation and it still rusted out. There is a reason they are known as rustmasters.

Quick Reply: Painting an exhaust