3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 Ram Overheating any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Imp36
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Ram Overheating any ideas

I have a Ram 3500 with the HO 6 speed 144,000 miles and when it is pulling through the hills or in the mountains it wants to get hot. I replaced the clutch fan but that did not seem to help. It is not cool to be pulling the hills and have the guage wanting to red line. Any thought on where to look next for the problem? I have the local dealership scratching their heads.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain
Default RE: 03 Ram Overheating any ideas

Get a large transmission cooler. This will help a lot.

Old 05-14-2005, 01:04 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Let's see. Water pump, radiator, thermostat, hoses, fluid condition, etc. Have you tried the tow cool or similar products? I don't know if or how well they work, but perhaps something to look forward too. I would look at the condition of hoses and thermostat. If no pressure is being held, 16 psi I think, then the boiling temp goes down.

Old 05-14-2005, 01:37 AM
Avanti
Captain

First, you need to be sure the truck is actually overheating and the gauge or sender are not at fault. As you describe the situation, this is probably not the case, but it pays to be sure. I've seen people go nuts trying to fix nonextistent overheating problems. Bad ground connectors can contribute to this.

All the sources noted by others can be problems. I've seen thermostats that were not opening completely (easy to test in a pan of water on the stove with a cooking thermometer). I've seen water-pump impellers slipping on the shaft, especially stamped-steel ones.

Are you sure the system is clean and clear? Have you flushed? Have you had the radiator tested?

Just some further thoughts.

All the best.

Old 05-14-2005, 04:05 AM
DonG
Veteran

If it were mine I would flush, refill with new antifreeze, and change the thermostat while at it (they are cheap). Old or an improper mix of antifreeze will make a vehicle overheat.

Quick Reply: 03 Ram Overheating any ideas