3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hemi loping/ rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:56 PM
dodgeman8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question hemi loping/ rough idle

So for the past few months my truck hasn't been running too well. Its a 2005 5.7 hemi and it would constantly stall when idling and would bog down between 20-40 mph. It also seemed like it had lost all its power. So i have been reading some previous posts on here to try and fix the problem, so far I have: cleaned the throttle body, replaced the EGR valve, replaced the plugs, replaced spark plug wires. The EGR replacement seemed to give my truck its power back, but it still has a hard time idling when coming to a stop. It idles from anywhere around 400-800. Any idea on what else to do? without CEL's I am stumped...

Any ideas would be awesome
thanks

Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 PM
badblackram06
Veteran

It may be your throttle position sensor or try resetting the computer. take + battery cable off and touch it to the negative. Turn on your lights. then reconnect after about 10 seconds. You will have to reset your radio stations. There is another way by taking out your pcm fuse and cycling the ignition key a few times until you hear a chime but i'm not exactly sure how to do it. maybe someone will chime in on better instructions. hope this helps

Old 06-12-2010, 04:15 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same problem and it was my battery

Old 06-12-2010, 03:37 PM
dodgeman8

the battery? was it because of a bad connection? or was the battery just bad in general?

Old 06-12-2010, 05:38 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by badblackram06
... take + battery cable off and touch it to the negative. Turn on your lights. then reconnect after about 10 seconds...
Don't forget to hop around on your right foot while holding your left ear in your right hand. Meanwhile, pull the PCM fuse, get in the truck, close the door, buckle up and turn the key to "run". Wait for all the chimes, bells and lights to subside. Turn the key to off, reconnect the fuse and start 'er up. Give the computer some time to relearn your "style".

Old 06-13-2010, 04:37 AM
Marx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodgeman8
the battery? was it because of a bad connection? or was the battery just bad in general?
the battery would charge but seemed like the capacity wasnt there, it was in bad condition it was the oe battery i think i lost a 2v cell pack

Old 06-14-2010, 06:59 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you checked for any vacuum leaks?

Old 06-16-2010, 08:26 PM
dodgeman8

it was the EGR valve. Just dropped a new one in and it runs like a champ. Thanks for all the advice guys!

Old 12-05-2010, 01:27 AM
Amateur

Well it's my turn now....Rough idle at red lights and engine dies sometime.I guess i have to bring mine to the dealership before the bumper to bumper warranty ends.

Just hope they won't keep the truck for a week cause i don't want to be stuck with the BMW (Bus Metro Walk)

Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 PM
QUICK

Originally Posted by dodgeman8
it was the EGR valve. Just dropped a new one in and it runs like a champ. Thanks for all the advice guys!
I thought you already relpaced it in as stated in the original post.

I also had the same effects last year. Was my EGR also. Dealership told me if you dont replace the sparkplugs after 50, 000 miles you could dump unburnt fuel leading to a faulty EGR if you have a lead foot.

Quick Reply: hemi loping/ rough idle