3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OK wheel and tire question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Suckingas03
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK wheel and tire question

I am not the smartest one when it come to wheels. I dont understand the offset and all that but I am going to need new tires and want some 315/70/17's. The bolt pattern is 5x5.5 but what offset would I need to clear the tires from rubbing the upper control arm and how wide do the rims need to be? Where is a good place to get all this info I cant seem to find it. Thanks

Old 06-20-2010, 06:46 PM
chevyguy1973
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Answer is 4.5 offset, but you'll also need lift. That size you listed is basically a 35" tire, so you'll need 2" of lift. If it's a TRX, you've already got .7 lift. In most cases, a level kit will get you there, but there's lots of opinions on level kits.

Width of the rims depends on tire, but most brands call for a min width of 8 or 8.5 for a 35x12.5 tire. Best bet is to check the tire you plan to get and make sure.

Check the 3rd Gen Ram faqs section, there's a good link that answers all this stuff. How much lift, how much backspace, and how much tire, for what truck. Oh, and there's a bunch of other sticky's in that section that'll have you doing all sorts of other mods.

Check it out. Good luck.

Quick Reply: OK wheel and tire question