3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Box Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:11 PM
dragracer98
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Box Stabilizer

Ok I'm having a severe problem with Death Wobble, anything above 45mph and I get immediate severe wobble upon hitting a bump of almost any size. This has been happening every since I bought this truck a week ago. Over the weekend I replaced a worn out Ujoint on front passenger axle and a wheel hub assembly on the same side. After replacement I checked all other steering parts and nothing had any noticeable wear, I also jacked up the front end and had a friend turn the wheel back and forth to check for play as well. Found nothing.

I've seen on this site as well as others on the net where people have used the Steering Box Stabilizer to fix this issue. My question is has anyone used this on their truck to stop death wobble and was it successful?

Also I don't know how many have experienced what I'm assuming that everyone is calling death wobble but this is not a light shaking of the steering wheel similar to a warped rotor but a violent shaking of the whole front end which caused the entire truck to shake and will not stop until you slow down to around 25-30mph. I would hate to see the effects of this as i'm sure it would be a horrible wreck if you were running say 60-70mph.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:18 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The notorious "death wobble" is on the 2500/3500 series Rams. SFA's use steering stabilizers.
Do you have a 2500? If so, the steering stabilizer will drastically reduce the amount of wobble going on, but there is no guarantee to completely eliminate it, especially if the truck is an 03 with 100kmi+ where the frame has been flexing most of it's life and therefore has lost some strength.
I have not heard of one person complain about issue's after a steering stabilizer. It has more pros than to help alleviate the wobble.

1500's experience wobble too, but it's not the same.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

posting the specs of your truck would help us solve this

Old 06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
dragracer98
Rookie

Sorry i did leave out a bit, guess I'm just frustrated with the issue.

2003 4dr 2500 5.7 4x4 it has a 3 inch lift with 35/1250/17, I'm sure the bigger tires are just making the problem worse. The truck is equipped with a steering stabilizer as well. But the part I'm reffering to is a steering box stabilizer like this one http://www.dieselperformance.com/ind...uct/index/151P

Old 06-23-2010, 09:59 AM
dragracer98
Rookie

Ok did some searching on the net over the past couple of days and found a possible solution. As i said before, I fixed the bad ujoint and wheel hub but still had the issue. well i adjusted the camber back to something around -5 and have seemed to solve the Death Wobble. I am convinced that there is a fundamental problem in these trucks. I've driven a whole lot of SFA trucks and jeeps and i've never had this issue before. I don't think the wobble is caused by worn out parts but i think the wobble is there the whole time and wears out parts itself which in turn magnifies the wobble. I'm still going to buy the SBS b/c from a design standpoint it should stiffen the front end and help lengthen the life span of the front end parts.

Thats just my thoughts and observations on this issue. My entire front end is rock solid, no play in the steering wheel, no bad ball joints or bushings. The only issue was the ujoint and wheel hub and under normal circumstances those parts just don't wear out that quickly.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:29 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dragracer98
Ok did some searching on the net over the past couple of days and found a possible solution. As i said before, I fixed the bad ujoint and wheel hub but still had the issue. well i adjusted the camber back to something around -5 and have seemed to solve the Death Wobble. I am convinced that there is a fundamental problem in these trucks. I've driven a whole lot of SFA trucks and jeeps and i've never had this issue before. I don't think the wobble is caused by worn out parts but i think the wobble is there the whole time and wears out parts itself which in turn magnifies the wobble. I'm still going to buy the SBS b/c from a design standpoint it should stiffen the front end and help lengthen the life span of the front end parts.

Thats just my thoughts and observations on this issue. My entire front end is rock solid, no play in the steering wheel, no bad ball joints or bushings. The only issue was the ujoint and wheel hub and under normal circumstances those parts just don't wear out that quickly.

Yep and Yep. It's the excess play in the steering shaft that results in the frame flexing. Once the wobble starts (which is the frame flexing), it cannot stop and it will flex worse and worse until you slow down. That is why I said the steering stabilizier may not work 100% because the more mileage on your truck and the more it has been doing that, the more flexing your frame has been doing which does weaken any structure.
I would def get the steering stabilizer to reduce the wear on your components as it is a design flaw by Chrysler..One that should have had a recall but hasn't.
look HERE

Old 06-23-2010, 10:51 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Personally know one guy with a 2500 QC CTD who did this AFTER the dealer soaked him for over $1200 in front end "repairs" that did no good. The service manager then REFUSED to install this part even though the guy bought it online and was willing to waive any issues that it might have caused.
He ended up paying a small shop to install it and after about a year now, the DW is still gone!

I have a good buddy up in Georgia with an '06 Mega Cab with who has it so bad that he has parked his truck. Dude is out of work so I suggested this part as it's not terribly expensive he's waiting for me to be able to get up there (about a month from now) to help him install it.

I have yet to read about anyone who has done the steering box stabilizer who was dissatisfied. I agree with you that the DW is a design flaw and is amplified greatly by ANY front end component that may be just a little out of spec...

Old 06-23-2010, 08:58 PM
PETE_YK
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a big recall in regards to the death wobble issue. The fix was to install the "big bar" system. Its a beefed up kit that comprises of all new part numbers for the pitman arm all the way down to the tie rod ends. It also comes with a new stabilizer shock and a more secure bracket for it. I do parts at a chrysler dealership and i havent heard of any wobble issues after those kits get installed.

Since its a recall any chrysler dealership has a obligation to perform this recall to your truck if it hasnt allready been done.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PETE_YK
There was a big recall in regards to the death wobble issue. The fix was to install the "big bar" system. Its a beefed up kit that comprises of all new part numbers for the pitman arm all the way down to the tie rod ends. It also comes with a new stabilizer shock and a more secure bracket for it. I do parts at a chrysler dealership and i havent heard of any wobble issues after those kits get installed.

Since its a recall any chrysler dealership has a obligation to perform this recall to your truck if it hasnt allready been done.

You happen to have a recall # for this? I've got a good buddy who was under full factory 3/36 warranty when the dealer soaked him for $1200 in "normal wear components" that DID NOT fix his death wobble. I'm sure he would kinda like it if I passed on the information...

Quick Reply: Steering Box Stabilizer