3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another new guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:51 PM
bubbagump2001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another new guy

Hello, I recently acquired a 2002 4.7 Std cab 4x4 automatic with 114k miles on it.

After not owning a truck since I was 16 (now 38), what knowledge I had of maintaining a 4x4 has been lost for some time. - Been stuck in many 4 door coupes since.....

I have searched the forum and checked out the faq's; I have a couple of questions as the truck did not come with a nice check list from the previous 3 owners on how they have maintained it. It runs well, makes no noises and rides very well, but as with any used car something need to be done or watched for. - And I take the dealers word the work has been done with a grain of salt...

So what would be the first thing you would suggest to be done to the vehicle, besides change the oil; like anything in the drive train, transmission, plugs, plug wires, etc...... What is the normal maintenance cycle for things on this year of truck.

Just asking as I have not had the chance to get the Haynes manual yet.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Big_Wheel
Veteran

just basically check everything out man.. look at everything, and touch everything---pull the plugs and have a look at them to see how back they are. and same for fluids, if you can check the diff fluids without draining them have a look. Look for major leaks and get them repair asap.
Or do all the fluids. and start fresh from there.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 PM
brettj2408
Captain

first thing is a tune up. plugs and wires. check the air filter, belt, and all the fluids. including differentials and transfer case
i would recommend starting off of a fresh maintence schedule. so you know you at least did it all at 115K

Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 PM
mike_r
Professional

You got it. Change oil, plugs, wires, differential fluids. Make sure you put the special adative back in it. There are grease nubs in the tie rods. Change the transfer case fluid. Look at the transmission fluid and see if it's clean yet. Check breaks. Jack up the front end and see if there is any play in the wiggling the tires. Check for rack n' pinion leaks/slop.
Oh, and Welcome to the forum.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd change the oil/filter,plugs,wires,tranny fluid,both axle fluids,coolant,check the brakes.this is all the typical stuff I usually do as soon as I buy a used car and get it home.I don't care if the dealer says they did it or not.I do it for my peace of mind

Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check or changing fluids, filters, belt, plugs, brakes is usually a good start.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 PM
bubbagump2001

Thanks guys. Figured it was pretty much the standard basics but wanted to make sure as it is my first Dodge (always been a Ford guy) and was told you really had to watch the Ram series out for issues...

I've already done the cold air intake and the lights behind the grill... I hope to get a set of shackles to help (sorta) level this thing out soon...

Old 06-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Big_Wheel
Veteran

Originally Posted by bubbagump2001
Thanks guys. Figured it was pretty much the standard basics but wanted to make sure as it is my first Dodge (always been a Ford guy) and was told you really had to watch the Ram series out for issues...

I've already done the cold air intake and the lights behind the grill... I hope to get a set of shackles to help (sorta) level this thing out soon...

we're slowly converting everyone over!!!! lol you'll be happy with the dodge man

Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 PM
sbsga
Professional

maybe a picture of your new 4x4 family member when you get a chance?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts