3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Ram rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:29 PM
canfidacus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Ram rough idle

hello, i have an 03 ram 1500 qaud cab with the 4.7 L in it, recently the engine light came on. there was no noticeable difference at first but then a rough idle started with surging at idle and the last couple of days when im at idle it wants to stall at times as the idle is steady going up and down and as i said earlyer sometimes it will all of a sudden surge ahead and the tach will read about 1400 then drop to around 700...i did a code check by turning key on off, on off on and the odometer showed code p0456 but when i have asked others about this code they say it means small leak in the evap system but shouldn't affect the idle, so i am confused as what to do....any help as what to do other than take it to the shop would be greatly appreciated

thank you

Richard

Old 06-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Huntjunkie41
Professional

Could be any number of things. Idle Air Control Solenoid (IAC), Spark plugs, Vacuum Leak, Bad Torque Converter, Crank or Cam position sensors. Many of which may or will not throw codes. The best thing to do is start with the simple things like Spark Plugs and cleaning the IAC. You can find videos of how to on Youtube. I just a few minutes ago sent the very videos to my father for his 2004 4.7. It depends how mechanicaly inclined you are. When was the last time you had the transmission flushed and the filter changed. These transmissions are sensitive. Taking it to the shop would be the best bet if changing plugs and cleaning the IAC do not help.

Look up "Changing Spark plugs 4.7" and "Cleaning IAC 4.7" on Youtube for the videos.

Last edited by Huntjunkie41; 06-22-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:36 PM
canfidacus

Just wanted to thank you Huntjunkie, checked out the vidio for the IAC in the throttle body, I took it out cleaned it up and idles perfect now...you saved me headaches and the cost of taking it to the garage, very simple fix.

Quick Reply: 2003 Ram rough idle