3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tensioner arm knock

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Biggrhammr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tensioner arm knock

So, I’ve had this knocking sound and I pull my valve cover off and discover that my chain tensioner arm has play on its pivot bolt bushing(see pic) . The bushing doesn’t allow the bolt head to tighten against the secondary tensioner arm (for obvious reasons) but it’s got enough play to allow the arm to slide forward and backward about 1/16” on the bushing and cause a “knock”. It’s not hurting a thing, other than I can’t stand it. I’m curious how tight it was from the factory. Anyway, my question is: Has anyone else dealt with this, and if so, what did you do? My plan is to make a snap ring out of a nylon washer, or something that won’t melt, to slide in there around the bushing on the bolt head side of the arm. Does anyone see a problem with this? Oh by the way, the one in the picture is a spare, not the one in my engine.

Last edited by Biggrhammr; 04-28-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Biggrhammr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry:
(2002 Dodge Ram 1500 3.7 6 cylinder)

Quick Reply: Tensioner arm knock