3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

plastic bed liner

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010 | 06:00 PM
schinkelm
|
Default plastic bed liner

I bought my truck with a plastic bed liner already installed, eventually i plan on getting a spray in bed liner done. The problem is, that whenever i wash the truck, water gets inbetween the liner and the bed rails, indicated by it seeping back out and over the sides after i dry the truck. Can't help but wonder how much water is actually getting under and inside the bed, any suggestions on how to prevent the water from getting under there.. Was thinking about running 3/4'' double sticky sided foam tape inbetween liner and bed rails to try and repel that water as much as possible..

Old 06-28-2010 | 06:02 PM
Big_Wheel
Veteran

that or silcone-but if water is in there IMO you would want it to breath to dry out. Best bet is if you dont use the box often, take the liner out and save up to get it Line-x or rhino guard.. what ever is available in your area.

Old 06-28-2010 | 09:50 PM
davb673
Veteran

Some weather stripping foam tape might to the trick. My son-in-law works at a Dodge /RAM dealer and has owned both flavors of bed protectors and said the spray in liner is best hands down. Plastic lets stuff slide all over, and as you indicated, is the perfect recipe for a rust culture below the liner. You might just pull that thing out, as Big Wheel indicated. I have a Rhino-liner and gotta say it has worked fine.

Old 06-28-2010 | 09:54 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Best thing to do is just get rid of the bed liner. Sand and grit also get under the liner and wear the paint off every contact point in the bed. Just lift up on the rear of the liner and look for yourself. It's like grinding sandpaper into your bed.

Old 06-29-2010 | 08:24 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I know your pain. Ive got a plastic over the rail bed liner and like you, when I wash it and go to dry it I have water under there that tends to seep out a bit. But I used a Turtle squeegee and get most of it off the truck and then go back over it with a chamois and I end up getting it all off so nothing runs down.

Ive got a rubber mat in my bed so nothing slides around. My Rotts love to ride so they need some grip.

Old 06-29-2010 | 09:24 AM
tlawre87
Veteran

Last winter I had 3 semi brake drums in the bed for weight, the idiot I was didn't realize when I put my bedliner in and didn't secure them they would play air hockey in my bed. I got a pretty nasty dent on my tailgate now.

Quick Reply: plastic bed liner