3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a little wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a little wiring help

so i just upgraded my 4 pin to a 7 pin and made all the connection, ran a wire for the hot lead and e-brake lead, now i was looking at my fuse box and noticed a 20A fuse labeled "Trailer Battery" should i attach the hot lead to that? and does anyone know what wire it is coming out the back of the fuse box,
i searched but didnt really know what key words to use lol

Old 06-29-2010, 08:25 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If you can tell me what number fuse it is I can tell you more about it.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:59 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

OPERATION

The standard 4-pin trailer tow connector contains the following vehicle circuits: park/tail lamps, left stop/turn lamp, right stop/turn lamp, and ground. The optional trailer towing package 7-way connector contains the same circuits as the 4-pin connector plus the following additional circuits: backup lamp, trailer battery and electric brake.

If an aftermarket electric brake controller is used, the electric brake pigtail harness supplied will make installation easier. The connection (blue 4-way connector) for the harness is located under the instrument panel to the left of the brake pedal on top of the large body harness connection. Refer to the appropriate wiring information.

The battery line of this harness may be used to charge the trailer battery. However, a battery isolation unit is not supplied and the trailer battery may discharge the truck battery while the engine is not running. The battery line is protected by a fuse or a circuit breaker. Refer to the owner’s manual in the vehicle glove box for type, location, and ampere rating of the fuse or circuit breaker.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:12 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I do have diagrams, but they are for 07/08 model years which have the integrated power supply.
On my diagrams I have a GY/RD wire for the fused B+ trailer connection and a PK/YL for the fused Ignition. Yours are likely diff, but maybe they aren't??? Got a voltmeter? I know it won't tell you if it's the trailer wire or not...lol But it'll tell you if the same wire colors I gave coincide with each other on your model year. I'm bettting they are diff, but maybe this will help someone else with an 07/08 model year.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Rookie1500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/year.pdf

Second time in a week that i have posted this link... I feel so useful! But not as useful as the link. Just work your way thew the slections and slect all that applys to your truck, and then take a look at the wiring diagrams.
If the colours match up to what your fuse box looks like, you should be good to go.

Last edited by Rookie1500; 06-29-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: a little wiring help