3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tow/Haul

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:28 AM
jjsaw5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow/Haul

I guess I'll start with what I am hauling. I have a 300 pound ATV in the bed of my truck and i tow a larger 500-600 pound ATV on a 5x8 trailer that weights probably another 100-200 pounds.

I have a 07 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi in it. My question to you guys is the following. I put my truck into tow haul mode and it seems like it struggles with what i am towing above. Now I don't think that this truck should struggle at all with this.

If i take it out of tow/haul mode it does fine, now is tow/haul only for Highway driving or should i use that as soon as i tow anything?

Also could my flowmaster 40 series be causing me issues? I put it on a couple months ago and noticed some issues maybe back pressure??? Other then the flowmaster just being junk i've learned.

Any advice suggestions, or info would be greatly appreciated. This is my first truck so bare with me

Old 07-06-2010, 11:48 AM
brettj2408
Captain

Tow/Haul Raises your shift points and makes it easier to tow heavier loads.
With 1000 pounds i really wouldnt worry about using Tow/Haul.
Your truck is not struggling.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:52 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

IMO you are probably sensing the higher rpms at each shift point as "struggling". My rule of thumb is about 2500# before I change my tuner from performance to tow AND kick in tow/haul mode.

Have pulled as much as a 7700# tractor with my truck and it pulled it fine, so I can't believe your Hemi is having an issue with what you are pulling.

Although I'm not really a fan of Flowmaster, no way it's effecting your towing enough to feel...

Old 07-06-2010, 11:53 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Tow/haul mode increase shift points during normal driving situations and downshifts earlier when coasting to aid in slowing down.
Are you sure the "struggling" isn't from just revving higher? With that little bit of weight, you should barely feel them back there. You can use tow/haul mode for all types of driving both city and highway.
You really don't even need to use either one if you don't want because of the light weight being towed.

*edit..dammit Hammer, you beat me to it...lol

Old 07-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also you won't get that getup and go feeling in tow/haul mode i find it makes the hemi relax a bit and just work instead of wanting to jump out of the hood if you get what i'm saying.
ditto to the above posts on the higher rpms

Old 07-06-2010, 12:51 PM
jjsaw5

Thanks for the posts guys. Makes me feel better about it. It's probably more the fact that this is my first truck and really the first time i am hauling anything.

Quick Reply: Tow/Haul