3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any truth to the post Dodge has addressed the front strut issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Bimmerdan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Any truth to the post Dodge has addressed the front strut issue?

Hello Again everyone,
It has been 3k since my left front shock was replaced by the dealer under warranty. The truck drove better felt stiffer and seemed to be ok again. Well last week it went back in because after driving all day long I noticed it sounded like the shock was bad again. The truck sat at the dealer for two days and they said they found no issues and heard nothing on test drives (the roads around the dealership are the amoothest in town). I went and picked up the truck and heard nothing wither when I drove it around, two days later it came back. I pinpointed it to the right front an small washboard bumps, today the left front started again on bumps.

I looked online and saw a post that in May of 2010 dodge had a TSB to use shock number 5170298AH over the oem shock. But when I google this I get two results, anyone heard anything about this? I plan on calling Chrysler in the morning to find out what the deal is but I'm getting frustrated and am ready to buy Bilsten HD's, take the leveling kit and forget the dealer.

The truck has 8 thousand more miles under warranty and its starting to worry me, to this point it has lead a pampered life as far as a truck goes but now it is seeing more towing and hauling (light) and the problems are coming up.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:04 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

sometimes the ol girl likes some abuse. maybe she will be better for you after you spank her a few times

Old 07-11-2010, 07:47 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Unfortunately the '06+ coil overs seem to be hit and miss when doing a level. Half the people seem to never have a problem and the other half reports issues from hell. No rhyme or reason to it as far as I can see.

I got a buddy with an '07, had a set of simple coil spacers put in and got vibrations almost as bad as the dreaded death wobble on the SFA trucks. Went thru everything and even tried a different brand of spacers, shocks, alignments, road force balancing, etc. Only thing fixed it was removing the level kit.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:44 PM
RamNSX

Hey! I've been having some front end issues for a while. Out of curiosity, what are you hearing up front?

Old 07-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Bimmerdan

You know whats funny is, i was in 4wd in our sand pits tearing trough like a bat out of hell and they did stop sqeuaking for a few days.

NSX - when I'm on a washboard road i just sounds like a metal squak and rattle.

I think im going to order the After Market shocks and just tell the dealer to put them on and we go our seperate ways.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:58 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker

if it squeaks spray it wd40, my 06 right strut squeaks after i added the level and the strut aint bad it just squeaks every now and then, spray some wd40 on it and it goes away for a long time or untill it rains...i just spray the top of the strut... when i replaced my left strut back in i think dec or jan. the strut as 99.00 bucks, when i called about a new one for the right one when it started squeaking they were 195.00, they said they made new struts for these models...but i took it in to have it checked out by my mechanic and he said nuthing was wrong with my strut....
IF i had to do it all over again i would do the rancho level where they give u new struts and all that so u wouldnt have to worry about it

Old 07-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Ironsleeve318
Professional

Bimmerdan, I'll look this up on Alldata right now and let you know

Old 07-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Ironsleeve318
Professional

Didn't find anything related to the TSB you were referencing. Sorry man.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Bimmerdan

Ironsleeve - Thanks for looking.

Anyone tried the Bilstien 5100? Maybe I should try them out and get rid of the spacers.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Shorty75

I put on the regular bilsteins, no lift. And I LOVE them. it is the best I have ever felt that truck ride and drive. Knowing Bilstein, I expect them to be the last shock I put up front so $$ well spent.

I don't know anything about the lift ones except their shiney! and backordered last I checked.

Quick Reply: Any truth to the post Dodge has addressed the front strut issue?