3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need tips on painting

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:22 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default need tips on painting

i started painting my cowl hood last night and got water on it from the guns, now i gotta get more paint and wet sand the whole thing and start over.

would it be a good idea to hang the hood or leave it flat ?

do you wet sand before putting clear coat on ?

um anything else would help thanks

Old 07-16-2010, 02:54 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I would leave it flat unless you are really good at painting. Having it vertical would allow the paint to run if you dont spray it correctly. And I though wet sanding was always done before adding clear? Im not sure on that one though. I obviously dont paint much but would like to learn being my future int/ext plans will need painting done.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:26 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just talked to the guy that sold me the paint he says dont wet sand the base. just clear it and buff the shiz outta it

Old 07-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you hang it there is less chance of getting **** on it, just do light coats. might take 3 or 4 coats but its worth it.
my dad does it like this
1 st coat let dry 3 hours, then apply the second coat (remember use light coats at this stage you might still see thru the paint depending on what colour it is) let that dray 3 more hours then do a thrid coat and let it dry over night
then do a LIGHT wet sand (to remove any dirt that may have dryed on if you think it looks ok you can skip this step), then put your final coat on let that dry 24 hours
then do a clear coat we usually do 7 coats of clear but 5 is probable good keeping that 3 hour dry time
it might take 2-3 days but doing the paint this way gives you an OEM+ quality paint job
my dad is "old school" and dosen't use the new water base paints

what kind of paint are you using and how are you applying it?

Last edited by Marx; 07-16-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:01 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Marx
if you hang it there is less chance of getting **** on it, just do light coats. might take 3 or 4 coats but its worth it.
my dad does it like this
1 st coat let dry 3 hours, then apply the second coat (remember use light coats at this stage you might still see thru the paint depending on what colour it is) let that dray 3 more hours then do a thrid coat and let it dry over night
then do a LIGHT wet sand (to remove any dirt that may have dryed on if you think it looks ok you can skip this step), then put your final coat on let that dry 24 hours
then do a clear coat we usually do 7 coats of clear but 5 is probable good keeping that 3 hour dry time
it might take 2-3 days but doing the paint this way gives you an OEM+ quality paint job
my dad is "old school" and dosen't use the new water base paints

what kind of paint are you using and how are you applying it?
Originally Posted by lastrights
i just talked to the guy that sold me the paint he says dont wet sand the base. just clear it and buff the shiz outta it

Both of these are good to know.

Quick Reply: need tips on painting