3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Well, she caught fire...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, she caught fire...

Well, it was really just a lot of smoke, but it was what I was waiting for... the day the fabric heat barrier underneath the driver side would catch fire.

The first deal is this -- I got the truck and it did not have any modifications to it. I was doing the regular maintenance on it and got to looking around and found the wheel speed sensor wires were disconnected and the heat barrier underneath was hanging down/missing the plastic nuts.

So, I got some new nuts and tightened it up, because it seemed like the fabric had stretched... I noticed that it was laying on top of the transmission and had a couple burn marks but all was fine and dandy -- now fast forward 2 months.

I put this exhaust system on and had to cut some of the fabric in order to keep it from laying on top of the pipe. Apparently this was to no avail. Fast forward 3 weeks and it is pouring down rain, which apparently soaked the fabric, pulling it back down onto the exhuast pipe and, on my 45 mile drive up to Plainview, caught on fire -- and burned almost the entire piece of fabric around the pipe, about a 3' by 2' section.

So... Can I remove the entire heat shield thing, or should i actually try and replace it? I don't think I can repair my ego by pulling up to work and having smoke billowing out from underneath the truck.

I was kind of hoping that it would catch that gas line, though...

Old 07-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any ideas if it is ok to remove the heat shield thingy?

Old 07-18-2010, 12:10 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah you can remove it, but it's there to keep your floor pan cool
You'll likely het up your interior floor if you remove it. it may get a little hot.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:46 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it's the first i heard of this problem. I would replace with aluminum heat shield (you have too mold it ) but once installed will not break loose like fabric will. imo.

Quick Reply: Well, she caught fire...