3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 20" stock aluminum rims peeling

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010 | 10:33 AM
JumpinJohnny
|
Default 2005 20" stock aluminum rims peeling

Hello, new member here. I recently became an owner of a 2005 Ram Quad with the 20" wheel option. While the truck itself is in extremely good condition, one rim in particular has extensive peeling of the clear coat on it and the others are showing signs of starting the same. The bad rim has ugly aluminum corrosion showing under the clear coat.

*EDIT* it appears from other threads that this is actually a plastic coating. Regardless, I still have the same problem..

I've done some searching online and have found this to be fairly common problem (not just with Dodges). Buying new expensive rims is not an option for me at this time; besides I like the design of the stock rims. I've got it in my mind that these rims would look great painted black.

Here's what I have in mind (with assistance of ideas from internet):

- strip the remaining clearcoat from the rims *EDIT* should say remove plastic coating
- sand away any surface corrosion on the rims. Do not bring to high polish.
- prime rims with appropriate product
- paint with appropriate product (thinking of one of the POR-15 products here)

I have spray equipment and the experience to use it.

What I am wondering is if anyone has done anything similar with these rims? Another option is having them powder-coated but like I said earlier cost is a factor and besides, I'm a devout DIYer. I'm not too worried if a few years later I need to do touch-ups etc.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Last edited by JumpinJohnny; 07-21-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Coating is plastic, not a clearcoat
Old 07-21-2010 | 11:16 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Plasti-Dip 'em.... $5.88 a can, durable, looks good, almost no prep needed and you can slit it with a sharp knife and peel the synthetic rubber right off if you don't like it...

Old 07-21-2010 | 01:20 PM
JumpinJohnny
|

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Plasti-Dip 'em.... $5.88 a can, durable, looks good, almost no prep needed and you can slit it with a sharp knife and peel the synthetic rubber right off if you don't like it...
Interesting idea; has anyone here done this on their wheels? Somehow I'm not certain this would bond as well as paint would. Might have to try a sample piece of material and subject it to some tests..

Old 07-21-2010 | 01:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

yeah, quite a few guys.

Hell, I did the plastic cladding on my Grand Cherokee that I could only get paint to stick to with an adhesion promoter. The Plasti-Dip stuck with NO prep other than washing with soap and water.
Also, I tried to paint a polished aluminum plate with black auto paint and it ran right off like water off oil. Plasti-Dip stuck like if I was painting a piece of wood.
It's not the magical end all stuff many people claim it is, but for certain projects, the stuff works well.

I know I knock the hell out of my rock rails on the GC all the time and the stuff ain't got a scratch yet. Two coats...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-21-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2010 | 07:44 PM
JOHNSN10
Captain

I did my 20" flower pedals with plasti dip and i like it. Looks great to.

Old 07-23-2010 | 12:45 AM
Ironsleeve318
Professional

*anti dip* still hahaha

and Plasti-dip is like $8 here in cali...wtf.

Old 07-23-2010 | 08:33 AM
JumpinJohnny
|

Thanks for all the information on this; I'm going to give it a try. The rims can't look any worse than they are now..

Quick Reply: 2005 20" stock aluminum rims peeling