3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rust treatment!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010 | 04:37 PM
shaffin
|
Default Rust treatment!

Hello,

I just got myself a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Big Horn but after using it for a week I have noticed that there seems to be rust spots all over the tiny spots such as fastners, screws, botl heads, etc. I dont want to ignore them. What is the best application ot product to apply to stop it from getting worst? I am looking for something in paste form so that it can stick to the affected area and neutralize the rust penitration as well as stop it from further coroding?

Thanks,
Shaffin.

Attached Thumbnails Rust treatment!-rust.jpg  
Old 07-22-2010 | 04:58 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker

i would start by oiling/greasing that hood latch- thats probably why it got rusty in the first place. i coated my undercarriage with VHT epoxy spray paint and it looks really good... i'm not sure how well its gunna hold up yet tho. avoid getting anything real thick because it will make it a real pain in the *** to get a wrench on bolts/nuts

Old 07-22-2010 | 06:20 PM
sbsga
Professional

CRC 656, its designed for marine application, works awesome for rust prevention, plus if you spray your electrical connections it acts as a current booster and prevents corrosion, I literally spray the entire blocks of my yamaha's on my boat, keeps the hoses, bolts, connections, and plastic in perfect shape in the salt enviroment. I also spray my drop hitch and no rust after 6 months(every time i wash the truck i spray it) its great stuff, my yamaha's are 3 years old with almost 150 hours on them and when you take the covers off them everything on the motor looks brank new. you can get it for about 7 bucks at bass pro or walmart, or 11 bucks at a west marine

Old 07-22-2010 | 07:32 PM
JOHNSN10
Captain

What crc are u talking about? Walmart lists 10 products under crc 656

Old 07-22-2010 | 08:16 PM
big guy
Veteran

My medicine is oil spray yearly and spray Fluid Film on nuts, bolts, hinges etc.
Without some sort of Rust control treatment in Ontario. Your car or truck does not stand a chance.
Good Luck.

Old 07-22-2010 | 08:39 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

We use LPS3 Rust Inhibitor and Ospho where I work

http://www.marvgolden.com/aircraft-supply/lps3.htm

Old 07-23-2010 | 12:35 AM
03MopaRamman
Captain

I lived in the Barrie area for four years in the late 80's and for a while was on the Alliston Cops most wanted to catch list, anyhow I found rustcheck to be the best overall for everypart of my vehicles, however also found it did wash away by February which is when things Rust. They sell it now in canned form, antiseize although messy is good too, and like the fellows say Marine application is always great stuff to fight the effects of SALT. Although they make Cars and trucks much better today, IMO if you are in love with your Vehicle and live East of Kenora you need to park it come Nov and not take it out again til April if you want it to stay nice. Don't wanna Jack but just to say fortunate to live on the prairies and cannot beleive the difference. No cutting or heating bolts anymore. My Wifes White PT Cruiser is nine years old and driven year round, It still has the original exhaust components and zero rust, never been undercoated, Just changed the shocks last year and undid original bolts with a 3/8 ratchet and a spanner.

Old 07-24-2010 | 01:22 AM
sbsga
Professional
Old 07-24-2010 | 07:07 AM
loflyer2
Professional

POR-15 is the best rust coating I have ever used. I put it on rusty spot underneath the truck 3 years ago and it still looks like I just put it on. It's nasty stuff though, if it dries on your skin it cannot be removed with any solvent/cleanser, same for wherever it drips on your driveway.

Quick Reply: Rust treatment!