3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why is my rear diff or trans shuttering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 AM
prorider17
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is my rear diff or trans shuttering?

Ok so this problem has been going on for quite sometime, and its getting really aggravating. When I bought my 4.7L shortbox regular cab ram, it had 95,000 miles on it. I did the rear diff fluid change with mobil one and the mopar friction modifier. I'm at 118,600 miles now. Imagine stepping on the gas just a little bit and I feel a little nuisance of a shutter coming from what it feels like the rear but I'm thinking it could be transferred from the transmission. When I did the fluid swap, I didn't see any chunks of metal or anything, and I've heard stories and looked around on the site by searching about the rear ends of my truck's axle going out. What do you think? I'm going to take it in and get the trans serviced. I'm not sure if that'll do it though. Any advice or experience? Thanks!

Old 07-23-2010, 01:49 AM
brettj2408
Captain

check your u-joints...

Old 07-23-2010, 08:55 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it do it only at certain speeds, or rpms, or gears? or is it constant? check your u-joints first.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:41 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think u-joints would cause a shudder IMO. They generally cause a vibration, not a shudder. This is where diagnosis is hard due to different people thinking what a shudder vs a vibration actually is. Shudder would be only from LSD if going around a turn and from the trans/TC while going straight. It would be pulsating like a slipping almost.
Knowing you purchase the truck at nearly 100kmi, you have no idea when the trans was serviced. I would def have the pan dropped and the filters changed and then have a flush service done. First pull your dipstick, smell and look at the color.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:13 PM
prorider17
Amateur

I'm def going to have the trans serviced. It only does the shuttering when I leave the driveway or am pulling out onto the road.. slow speeds. It doesn't feel like a vibration because I've had tires be out of round and I know what that vibration feels like.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:49 PM
martinscranton@aol.com

that may be the trans held in 2nd gear at an idle, when you apply power it downshifts into first as it starts to move. i have an 08 with 40000 miles with the same problem. needs reprograming--i hope

Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Usually the only time you would feel any shudder from the rear diff with an LSD and low or no friction modifier is when you are going around corners

Old 09-29-2010, 02:44 PM
runvs
Veteran

yeah my rear end has a lsd in it now and it shutters when i take off and turning at the same time while going slow....its just trying to lock up my tires together. Deff check ur trans fluid and drop the pan filter change AWESOME ideA !!!

Quick Reply: Why is my rear diff or trans shuttering?