3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 Ram 1500 5.9L misfire codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:41 PM
livalot4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Ram 1500 5.9L misfire codes

I have had a problem with my 02 5.9L for about a month now. The original problem was the o2 sensor, which I changed both of those. didn't fix the problem. Then i had the injectors flushed and cleaned. didn't fix the problem? the misfire was coming form the 2 and 4 cylinders which the plugs got fouled out, changed all 8 plugs. I did a full tune up on the truck, the truck worked good about a week, then it all happened again with a misfire in the 1 and 8 (which are the first two in the firing order), took the motor up to 2500 rpm (misfire range) and sprayed a little ether in the air cleaner to see if it would smooth out the misfire temporarly and it did! so I am guessing that the 1 and possibly the 8 injectors are not functioning properly? will this fix the problem changing the injectors?? I know it is not the crank sensor, the truck has only died on me once and started back up, and the tach didn't go out at that time either. I am hopeful that someone can really help my headache that i have had for a month now. (

Old 08-05-2010, 07:37 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

plug 8 gets clogged easy, look down throttle body for oil, if there is your gasket is leaking , theres a plate there inbetween the block and the manifold and lets oil in. and will clogged plugs and other bad stuff,

have you noticed a loss of gas milage and performance if so thats your problem

also what plugs are you running, the magnum motors are very picky about plugs

Old 08-06-2010, 06:40 PM
livalot4

I am running the oem champion plugs. I didn't notice oil in the throttle body? but I will have more time this weekend to look at that aspect more. If there IS oil in that trottle body portion, that will cause a misfire in the particular cylinders? or might still be the fuel injectors? I did flush out the fuel rails since there isn't a fricken fuel filter as well.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:57 PM
jim swanson

my buddy's 02 did the same thing and it was his fuel injectors was bad he put new ones on and his problem went away ?

Quick Reply: 02 Ram 1500 5.9L misfire codes