3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Crack-Head Exhaust Idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:51 PM
chevyguy1973
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Crack-Head Exhaust Idea

Been trying to decide where I want the exhaust coming out since installing the 3" body lift. Right now I've got dual tips out the back, but after the lift, they sit too low. I didn't want to dump them under the truck because of noise, kick them out the side down low for fear of crushing one creaping over a rock, and straight out the back hasn't been all that good when pulling the travel trailer.

So, here's where the crack-head idea comes in, I ordered a set of exhaust trumpet bezels for a 64-66 Mustang and am thinking of cutting them into the lower bedside behind the rear tires. Just trim out the right sized hole and mount the bezel to give it a nice finished look. Then I'll go to the exhaust shop and have the exhaust rerouted to stay tucked up tight with tips poking out the bezel rings. The exhaust would be out the sides, but up high enough that I don't loose clearance, and it'll be different for sure.

Anyone tried playing with this kind of idea or seen it done before? Thoughts or things I'm not thinking about? I'm not afraid of taking the "knife" to the truck, but also want to make sure the idea is well thought out before I go off jacking up sheet metal.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:33 PM
nateroach
Veteran

Are you only going to have the 1 exit on the passenger side? Otherwise I would ask how your getting around the gas tank? I guess if you went far enough back you might be able to get the clearance from the gas tank, but it would have to be pretty close to the corner of the bed.

nateroach

Old 08-06-2010, 05:22 PM
chevyguy1973
Professional

That's a good point, maybe a double exit on the passenger side? Single exit would probably be too small though. I'm pretty sure these bezels are only meant to have a 2 1/4 " tip sticking through.

Once they get here, I need to get the creeper out and spend some quality time under the truck staring at the situation.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:37 PM
tlawre87
Veteran

Not really my cup of tea, but Im having trouble picturing how they'd look.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:03 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

got a pic of the tips? You don't mean cut into the sheetmetal do you? If the tips are squished at all, that'll restrict flow. I always see these older cars with the bowtie ends on the tips and those are so restrictive.
My exhaust out the side is perfect IMO. Maybe you should look into it. Double dump out the pass side in front of the tire. It sits above the frame so nothing would touch it.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:05 PM
me0418840987
Veteran

Remember, the bed moves when large ruts, and offroading is done. Think about what can get tweeked before you do it. A guy by me had almost the same thing done to his diesel ford, and it tore up the bed side when he snaged the crossover pipe all the way up front.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 PM
chevyguy1973
Professional

Yea, I didn't think about what would happen with those tips if I did catch pipe up front some where, and bed movement is also an issue. I like the way your tips look Dirty, did you run the pipe under the frame rail though?

All in all, it may be back to the drawing board. Better to get input from several before I'm standing there saying, man that was stupid. Ha!

Old 08-07-2010, 05:02 PM
HemiRam1566
Veteran

dirtydog.. what it like to set a hoist up under your truck with the side exit exhaust..it looks difficult to get a hoist arm around to hit the leaf spring shackle..

Quick Reply: Crack-Head Exhaust Idea