3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 Ram 1500 Radio Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:01 PM
shadow0619
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Ram 1500 Radio Questions

I just picked up a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with the infinity system. It says RDS on the radio and has a 6 disc changer in the case of the radio not externally. On the back there is the antenna, the standard radio plug and another 10 pin slot. It does not play mp3s. It does have steering wheel controls. Here's my questions:

1. I've seen a bunch of aftermarket harnesses that let you use that 10 pin connector for an aux jack. But all of them say you can't have a cd changer. It isn't clear if the only concern is an external changer and if I can just buy a harness and use it. Any thoughts on this?

2. Is there a radio that I can replace this one with that plays mp3s, and has an aux jack that can plug in and still use the steering wheel controls without buying an aftermarket radio, mounting kit, wiring harness and module to keep using the controls?

3. Can a nav unit from the same year just plug in and still use the controls?

4. I found a bunch of in line FM Modulators that you plug your antenna into the module and then the module into the radio and it pushes the signal directly to the radio (this is how sirius and XM kits work). Does this work well? I have used the old FM tansmitters through the air, but they always seemed to get fuzzy and turn out to be a pain.

Any help is appreciated as always, thanks in advance.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:23 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1. Get a factory CD changer and harness, the RBQ has built in changer controls.
2. Yes, RAH stereo (I have this) will play MP3's burned on to a CD, but it only single disc (but it IS plug and play).
3. Yes, RB1/RB4, but you will need the GPS antenna to go with it for the nav to work (also the Nav DVD).
4. Get a terk kit, plugs directly into the unused plug hole on the back of the head unit (perfect for sat radio and for portable MP3 players).

Old 08-14-2010, 09:07 PM
shadow0619

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
1. Get a factory CD changer and harness, the RBQ has built in changer controls.
2. Yes, RAH stereo (I have this) will play MP3's burned on to a CD, but it only single disc (but it IS plug and play).
3. Yes, RB1/RB4, but you will need the GPS antenna to go with it for the nav to work (also the Nav DVD).
4. Get a terk kit, plugs directly into the unused plug hole on the back of the head unit (perfect for sat radio and for portable MP3 players).

Thanks a million I'm going with the last option, I really appreciate all the help!!!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:48 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Give this link a read, it will help tremendously.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/audio-v...ctory-rbq.html

Old 08-16-2010, 08:51 AM
shadow0619

Thank you!! I actually found that link in my research, ordered the same model and am doing that very same thing. I might put the jack in the center console instead of the dash, but otherwise... Thanks again, now to do some research on remote starters, gotta wade through all the old posts to figure out what type of bypass this truck uses :-) Nice to have all this information on the forum had a hard time finding stuff for my ford truck around, so I appreciate the help here.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:49 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned

There are factory kits for 04 and up:
http://www.leeparts.com/dodge_ram/ac...er_system.html

Quick Reply: 04 Ram 1500 Radio Questions