3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 SLT Remote Start Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:43 PM
shadow0619
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 SLT Remote Start Question

So I have looked through the posts already on here and found the 12volt site along with some other helpful info... I'm ready to buy a remote start system. I really just need to have some idea what type of module is used to over come the chipped keys. I have a grey rubber coating on my key.

I have previously installed a remote start in a 00 Monte Carlo, in this car you cut a wire and measure the resistence when the key is being turned. Then you set a bunch of dip switches to match a chart and make the system send out that resistence whenever the remote starter wants to start the car.

I also installed one of these in my 04 f150, in this one you have to put a key in a box and mount it to the steering column, then take a ring and put it around the ignition. Then when you put in a key or the remote starter wants to start the car, the box sends the signal the key is putting out directly to the ignition.

So I'm trying to get a feeling for which one the 04 rams have in them, I've seen people describing both processes as well as a product that interfaces with a module in the truck and opens the functions. So I'm trying to get a simple straight answer on which type of bypass I should be expecting. Thanks again for all the help...

Old 08-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all you need is a bypass which should slide into the side of the remote started control box
most places are free install now a days i got mine at future shop

Old 08-17-2010, 09:26 AM
shadow0619

Ok, good to know it's that easy. Now another question, can I install a bypass that always ignores the key's chip? Here's the situation, I bought the truck and the guy only had a single key and fob. When I installed the setup in the ford truck I was able to use a normal non-chipped key in the ignition bc there was the box on the steering column with a key in it already. So can I do the same thing here? Use the one key I have to always send the signal and all I have to do is goto lowes and have them cut me 2 keys for 2 bucks each.

I do realize this alwyas bypasses the security system and make stealing the truck easier, but I'm not terribly concerned about that.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:23 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just put the factory one in and you won't have to worry about it.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:31 PM
shadow0619

I could but I was trying to kill two birds with one stone, aren't the extra keys still very expensive for this truck? So I was trying to do the security bypass so I could get a couple of keys cut for 2 bucks each :-) Is the factory one plug and play and where would I get one? dealer part?

Old 08-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure if the chiped key has to be in the ignition or not you would have to experiment, my truck came with 2 keys and a fob so i've never had to deal with that
but i think the bypass only works until you put your key in then it check the key and you can go, its a security thing

Last edited by Marx; 08-17-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:13 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow0619
I could but I was trying to kill two birds with one stone, aren't the extra keys still very expensive for this truck? So I was trying to do the security bypass so I could get a couple of keys cut for 2 bucks each :-) Is the factory one plug and play and where would I get one? dealer part?
Someone else was just asking about one of these, I kicked out a link for the factory kit in that thread.

Quick Reply: 04 SLT Remote Start Question